Before you can begin applying to programs, you will need to determine which admissions test is most appropriate for your area of interest. Below you will find the common exams for entrance to graduate school.
The following resources have comprehensives listings of programs you can search, as well as valuable information about applying, preparing for graduate school, and finding financial aid opportunities.
Paying for graduate school can be a burden for a majority of people. Luckily, there are options for financial aid, scholarships, and additional monetary support.
Congratulations, you've been accepted to grad school! Now you need to strategize in order to accomplish your goal of earning your advanced degree. Below are resources with tips, advice, and methods to assist you on your journey.
- Life During Graduate School
- The Life of a Graduate Student
- Graduate School Survival Guide
- Seven Keys to Graduate School Success
- How to Be Successful in a Master's Program
- Grad Resources
Need help? The National Grad Crisis Line: 1.877.GRAD.HLP (1.877.472.3457)
In most graduate programs, students are expected to complete a defense of their learned knowledge. Typically, students can choose between writing a thesis, a major project, or comprehensive exams. After completing one of these writings, the student will defend her/his work to her/his major/advising committee.
- Preparing for your comprehensive exams
- Surviving your comprehensive exams
- A Note About Masters and Doctoral Comprehensive Exams
- 8 Ways to Prepare for Comprehensive Exams
- Guidelines for the Preparation of Your Master's Thesis
- How to Pick a Masters Thesis Topic
- Dissertation & Thesis Assistance
- Thesis and Terminal Project
- How to Write a Dissertation - Sciences Fields
- Citation Style Chart
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS)
Using the resources below, you can determine how best to promote your newly earned degree and your education in a resume or CV. Find out which format works best for your desired career.
NAGPS is a student-run national, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of graduate and professional students. The mission of NAGPS is to: 1) develop, sustain, and expand a member network that connects graduate and professional students across the United States to facilitate the sharing of information, resources, and best practices, 2) empower our members to successfully serve their constituents, and 3) amplify students- voices to campus, local, state, and federal policymakers.
Council of Graduate Schools (CGS)
CGS seeks to advance graduate education and research. Members consist of colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations and corporations. The goals of CGS are 1) to find solutions to issues related to graduate education, 2) provide data to institutions for assessment purposes, public policy and advocacy, and 3) assist institutions in promoting their graduate programs globally. CGS also maintains GradSense, which is a financial education site for students.
The National GEM Consortium
The mission of The National GEM Consortium is "to enhance the value of the nation-s human capital by increasing the participation of underrepresented groups (African Americans, American Indians, and Hispanic Americans) at the master-s and doctoral levels in engineering and science." GEM membership assists and provides students looking to attend graduate school with funding, research, and networking opportunities.
- What to Expect During a Grad School Interview
- 6 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Going to Grad School
- When Grad School Does and Doesn't Make Sense
- Peterson's Articles for Graduate School Overview
- The Graduate School Decision: Going Back
- A Guide for Potential Grad Students: Should You Go To Graduate School?
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Graduate School
- 32 Things You Should Know Before Going To Graduate School In The Humanities
- Seven Things I Wish I Knew Before Going to Graduate School
- Are You Ready for Graduate School?
- Considering Grad School? Important Things You Should Know Before, During, and After Applying
- Grad School Requirements: What You Need for Admission
- How to Write a Graduate School Application Essay
- 6 Tips on Applying to Graduate School
- Best Practices in Graduate Education
- 6 Steps for Deciding When to Take the GMA