Limited Term Adjunct Instructor
Posting Number: req12179
Department: Humanities Administration
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe University of Arizona Language Training Center (LTC) is currently hiring for Instructors for a short-term intensive Ukrainian language course. Funded by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office, the LTC offers language instruction certification and advanced training in multiple strategic languages.
Alumni Jacquelynn and Bennett Dorrance have made a gift commitment of $5.4 million to endow the deanship of the University of Arizona College of Humanities and inspire on campus and throughout the world a continuous and fearless spirit of open inquiry: https://humanities.arizona.edu/about/fearless-inquiries-project.
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare and conduct daily sessions according to weekly topics and curriculum in the use/practice of the Ukrainian language during class sessions.
- Attend pre-course meetings with executive director.
- Understand Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) and Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) score levels.
- Develop the course/s curriculum and lesson plans with authentic reading and listening materials.
- Update curriculum and course materials as needed.
- Answer student emails and communicate regularly with students.
- Provide communication and feedback to students throughout the course.
- Submit lesson plans and course/teaching materials to LTC office for teaching material archive.
- Communicate and/or meet with center directors, other instructors in the same teaching team, and LTC staff as needed.
- Provide feedback to executive director on the courses/s as needed.
- Additional duties as required by supervisor.
- Native or near-native fluency in the Ukrainian language.
- Prior experience in teaching language courses.
- Master's degree in related field.
- Terminal degree in Ukrainian language pedagogy, second/foreign language education, applied linguistics, or other relevant field.
- Prior experience in curriculum development.
- Prior experience in teaching intensive language courses and
demonstrated excellence in teaching.
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 9.6 - 19.6
Job FTE: .24 - .49
Work Calendar: Academic
Job Category: Faculty
Benefits Eligible: No Benefits
Rate of Pay: $4,500 - $13,000
Compensation Type: Per Course
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV)
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.