Business Manager (Administrative Operations Professional III)
Posting Number: req12070
Location: Main Campus
Address: 1130 E Helen Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
We are searching for a dynamic, self-starting
individual who enjoys working in a team environment to fill the role as
Business Manager in the Eller College Department of Finance. This
position performs a broad scope of professional accounting activities,
hiring and payroll activities, and office management activities. This
individual would ensure day-to-day operations are carried out in
accordance with established principles, policies and objectives. This
position reports to the Finance Department Head.
Finance is one of the most popular majors at the University of Arizona.
In addition to a rigorous and integrated core curriculum taught by
leading scholars, students in the finance major have the opportunity to
engage in a number of additional opportunities, including the Financial
Management Association (the UA chapter of the national organization),
the investments club, and the Wall Street Scholars program. Moreover,
finance students engage in a number of experiential learning
activities-including managing a "real" million-dollar portfolio (FIN
423/523), the CFA Institutes' Research Challenge, the Chicago
Quantitative Alliance Competition, and the Venture Capital Investment
Competition. The department offers an undergraduate degree in Finance
(both online and face to face), a Master's in Finance program, and
teaches a number of required and elective courses in the Eller MBA
program (full-time MBA, evening MBA, online MBA, and executive MBA), and
a highly competitive PhD program.
As we work toward
our mission to discover and share new knowledge that shapes the future of
business and to educate the next generation of responsible, global leaders who
embody the changing business world and possess the knowledge and drive to
impact it, we recognize the value of diversity and inclusion. We invite all
qualified individuals to apply to join us in achieving our mission.
UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life
insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays;
UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members;
state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural
activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as Department Fiscal Officer and signature authority.
- Prepare, execute, and track budgets including department operations budget.
- Prepare and maintain internal budgets for faculty and PhD students.
- Perform monthly UA and Foundation account reconciliations.
- Reviews and approves reimbursements, Pcard transactions and purchasing orders for departmental-related expenses.
- Reviews and approves travel authorizations and expenses for faculty, staff and graduate students.
- Pays invoices, vendors, internal billings and DVs; and processes cash deposit as needed for the department.
- Conduct fiscal year-end account review and rollover, review reports, and create special reports as needed.
- Create and process faculty and student awards, assist in tracking and reconciling faculty awards, prepare award letters, work closely with Dean's office for award allocation.
- Assist in development activities such as tracking gifts, analyzing reports, researching donor profiles, and tracking department head's development activities and communicating with Eller Development Team and UA Foundation.
Human Resources and
- Supervise full-time Administrative Support Assistant.
- Manage HR activities including onboarding, new hire and employee job change transactions including Graduate Assistant/Associate (GA) positions.
- Manage faculty recruiting, including creating job postings and advertisements, interviewing, campus visits, preparing offer letters, etc.
- Advise staff and faculty of any employment concerns, liaising with college and central HR as necessary, and orient new members to the department.
- Manage the faculty promotion and tenure process including UAVitae.
- Coordinate the faculty annual evaluations in UAVitae.
- Coordinate summer & winter session hiring, process supplemental compensation, Other Professional Services, summer research support and other payroll-related documents.
- Conduct year-end HR rollover process.
- Review and approve payroll hours and reconcile payroll payments bi-weekly.
- Oversee the daily operations of the department, provide customer service, open & close the department, provide direction, and assistance.
- Provide support for quality reviews and annual reporting requirements (AACSB Maintenance of Accreditation and Academic Program Review).
- Keep informed of, interpret, and apply pertinent rules, policies and procedures set forth by the University of Arizona or other governing agencies and communicate these changes with the department as need.
- Represent the department at meetings, conferences, trainings, and activities.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Master's Degree in Finance, Accounting, or MBA Experience working in a University setting
- Experience working in a University setting, preferably in an academic unit
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Organizational Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $59,005-$65,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.