Enrollment and Outreach Specialist (JBLM)
Please note: This position is open until filled.
Applications received before the priority application date; Monday, October 31, 2022 will be reviewed first.
The mission of Pierce College is to create quality educational opportunities for a diverse community of learners to thrive in an evolving world.
Recognized by the Aspen Institute as one of the top 10 community colleges in the nation (2021), Pierce College is an innovative, mission-driven, data-informed, and equity minded community college dedicated to helping all students achieve their academic and professional goals, with a focus on racial and social equity and justice.
The Enrollment and Outreach Specialist - JBLM position serves as a key member of the Student Services team and provides support in multiple modalities for prospective and incoming students pursuing their education. With a primary focus on military-affiliated students, this position serves as a liaison with multiple military education partners on the installation, as well as those located in other geographic areas around the world. This position actively supports and engages in Pierce College’s goals for equity and inclusion in order to provide access and support for our diverse community of learners and our goal of becoming an anti-racist institution.
About the District:
Pierce College enjoys a strong presence in the community and participates in innumerablepartnerships with business, community, government, and educational organizations. Want a feel for our District. Take a peek with aerial campus views!
Pierce College Fort Steilacoom
Located on a beautiful 140-acre site adjacent to a 340-acre community, recreational park, and Waughop Lake.
Pierce College Puyallup
Located on a luscious site with 125-acres of wooded land with beautiful hideaways.
Pierce College at JBLM
Located at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord military sites, serving many of our military and active-duty families that are serving our country.
The Enrollment and Outreach Specialist will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
Direct Student Support:
- Provide holistic and culturally sustainable support services to new, continuing and returning students.
- Actively guide applicants through the admissions and enrollment process, providing information, support, and resources they need to engage in the process.
- Conduct walk-in intake advising sessions with prospective students; provide Getting Started steps, discuss career/educational goals, share support resource information, and connect student to career pathway.
- Contribute to an atmosphere that makes applicants, incoming and continuing students feel affirmed, empowered and valued.
- Provide systematic communication with students through multiple methods, including district approved technology and social media platforms, to connect with and manage assigned caseload of military-affiliated applicants.
- Assess student needs using intake forms, exploring past educational experiences, identifying cultural barriers to success, and other barriers to program completion, and make appropriate referrals to internal and external partners.
- Communicate admission policies and processes to prospective students, staff and community members.
- Engage new students and provide encouragement and assistance with tools that help them prepare for their initial academic advising session.
- Communicate assessment practices for math and English readiness.
- Review transfer transcripts and use equivalency guides to evaluate transfer credits for math and English placement and course prerequisites; work with institutional partners to determine equivalencies if not already established; communicate with students about impact to chosen career pathway.
- Provide information on funding resources such as military tuition assistance and federal financial aid, including information on application processes and deadlines.
- Assist students in connecting with Military Education Counselors.
- Assist students in using and understanding class catalog and class schedules.
- Help students navigate the Pierce College website, military portals, and other websites in support of their application and career pathway.
- Provide information about national examination programs such as CLEP, DSST, PearsonVue, and the Pierce College at JBLM National Testing Center services.
- Work with Student Success Coaches for successful transition of new incoming students.
- Maintain working knowledge about funding resources (Financial Aid, Tuition, MyCAA, Veterans education benefits).
- Maintain knowledge about different programs and course offered by the College.
- Remain up-to-date on different payment deadline, withdraw dates, registration period, term start or end date throughout the entire district.
Support to Customer Service, Coaching, and Assessment:
- Support other team members during peak cycles, which includes but is not limited to, answering daily customer service calls, performing triage at front counter, and partnering with other colleagues to address complex student issues.
- Assess student completion of all pre-advising elements, monitoring progress metrics, determining when outreach might be helpful, analyzing where students encounter barriers, and recommending changes to tools, resources, and practices.
- Connect with students who do not finish the admissions process; provide support resources in response to challenges and/or barriers they identify.
- Compile data on applicant attrition and identify emerging trends for the JBLM Interim Dean of Student Services; engage in discussion on improving processes and removing institutional barriers.
- Connect with applicants who do not complete the admission process; identify barriers and provide support and encouragement to move applicant to completion.
- Assist with retention plan efforts as assigned.
- Assist with providing college community with current cultural issues and concerns impacting students.
- Serve as a point of contact for applicants, responding to questions, gathering information to respond to students, and making referrals as needed.
- Serve as primary coordinator for JBLM calling campaign efforts related to enrollment and retention, e.g. students who have applied but not enrolled, students who have enrolled but not accessed classes, etc.
- Represent Pierce College, virtually or face-to-face when safety conditions permit, at community and installation outreach events.
- Promote student engagement through college life and campus involvement.
- Collaborate with internal partners to support activities and events for new incoming students.
- Promote external engagement efforts as needed.
- Contribute to the development and/or selection of marketing and promotional materials.
- Accurately process incoming student forms, documents and other information in support of prospective and matriculating students.
- Participate in District shared governance through committee participation and/or other engagement.
- Bachelor'sdegree from an accredited college or university in Education, Counseling, Psychology, Public Affairs/Administration, and other related fields.
- Minimum of one (1) years of working in an educational environment providing direct student support (such as academic advising, financial aid, TRIO, multicultural services, or Workforce Education), OR one (1) year of experience in an agency or school setting managing a client caseload.
- Demonstrated experience with assisting individuals in problem solving, identifying needs, and exploring options.
- Demonstrated experience providing culturally responsive services and assistance.
- Demonstrated experience working with privacy laws and confidentiality issues.
- Experience in providing effective referrals for students or clients.
- Experience working with electronic information management systems/database software.
- The successful candidate must consent to and pass a criminal background checkafter a conditional offer of employment.
- Must meet and maintain security standards for installation access authorization.
- Ability to assist individuals in problem solving, identifying needs, and exploring options.
- Ability to identify and use data from a variety of sources for decision making and recommendations, using tools and contexts while adapting to changing technologies.
- Strong follow through and time management skills.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- Strong computer skills related to database software, MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint or comparable presentation software, and Internet navigation.
- Strong written and oral communications skills with ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups within and outside the College.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to place a high priority on professional excellence.
- Responds positively to change, embraces and uses new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems while operating effectively in a high volume/ moderate paced environment.
- Values organizational diversity; treats others with respect; promotes cooperation; effectively manages relationships.
- Strives to anticipate, identify, understand and be responsive to students' needs and expectations.
- Maintains an open, approachable manner, and treats others fairly and respectfully.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Demonstrates personal and professional conduct which contributes to the overall mission and goals of the organization; accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work; earns trust, respect and confidence from the College community.
To be considered for this position, applicants must:
- Meet the required qualifications as outlined in this announcement.
- Complete the online application profile at: https://www.pierce.ctc.edu/hr.
- Apply for the specific job opening.
- Upload (attach) a cover letter that addresses how you meet the required qualifications as outlined in this announcement. At Pierce College, we value culturally competent and compassionate individuals who bridge diverse backgrounds and perspectives in support of academic equity and excellence. In your cover letter, please address how you will support the mission of Pierce College to create quality educational opportunities for a diverse community of learners to thrive in an evolving world. Please include in your response how your previous education and/or professional experience contribute to your effectiveness in promoting a climate of student success for a diverse community of learners. (Cover Letter)
- Upload (attach) detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
- Transcripts are not required in order to apply for this position; however, if you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to bring copies of unofficial transcripts showing completion of the required level of education. Please upload current copies of your transcripts, if available. Unofficial copies of all college and university transcripts must include degree received and conferral date. International transcripts must include a foreign transcript evaluation. For a list of approved credential evaluation services visit: www.naces.org/members.html (Unofficial transcripts acceptable for application process; official transcripts required upon hire). (Transcripts)
- Upload (attach) a list of at least two professional references with names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted. (References)
Provide a response to the following question (Supplemental Question):
- Briefly describe how you have worked in your previous or current positions to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion in your organizations and how you would do that in this position.
Terms of Employment:
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) classified, overtime-eligible position with Pierce College District. This position is permanent after serving a 6-month probationary period. The primary work location will be at Pierce College building at Joint Base Lewis McChord. Occasional travel to Pierce College campuses or sites may occur. Work hours are between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional evenings and weekend work, and occasional travel as required. This position may be subject to reassignment between campuses or sites.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary of this position is$4,892, with periodic increments up to $5,960 monthly (dependent upon qualifications). However, your paycheck is just part of the total compensation package. There is an outstanding benefits package which is worth an additional value equivalent to about 30% of your salary. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance. Life and long-term disability insurance plans; vacation, sick and personal leave; reduced tuition; and retirement benefits are also provided. For more information, please visit our Benefits and Leave website at: https://www.pierce.ctc.edu/hr- benefits
Physical Work Environment:
This position is required to work indoors in an open office environment, which requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, precision, and is subject to frequent noise andinterruptions. The position may work in a military installation environment.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the application and employment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible. Requests should be made to the District Human Resources Office by calling 253-964-7342. Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may dial 711 to place a call through Washington Relay, the state's free telecommunication access service.
Screening & Interview Process:
Only those candidates who have complied with the application process and meet the required qualifications will be considered. Following the review of application materials, the most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Check the email account you used for the application process for communication regarding the status of your application. Application materials submitted to Pierce College are the property of the College and will not be returned.
Please note: This is a competitive selection process. Your application materials will be reviewed and evaluated based on the minimum qualifications listed for the position. Applicants whose qualifications most closely correspond to the District's needs will be eligible for further consideration.
Conditions of Employment:
Pierce College is a “fully vaccinated campus” under the state’s higher education guidance, which means that COVID-19 vaccination (or allowable exemption) will be required for all employees and students. More information can be found here:Vaccination Requirements.
Prior to the start of employment, finalist(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington State Law RCW 28B.112.080.
An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H-1B visa. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
Pierce College has adopted a Drug Free Workplace policy. As a condition of employment, employees must agree to abide by the requirements established in that policy.
This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the Washington Public Employee Association (WPEA).