Job Title: HigherEdMilitary Fellow
Reports to: HigherEdMilitary Editorial Staff
HigherEdMilitary is seeking undergraduate and graduate writers who demonstrate a passion for higher education, the military, and how the two are integrated. The HigherEdMilitary Fellowship is designed to feature and develop voices within the military-connected community in higher education. It is designed to provide support for emerging writers in the military-connected community. Selected fellows will have the opportunity to be published on HigherEdMilitary and work on other projects with editorial staff. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in professional editorial work.
- Applicants must be undergraduate or graduate students.
- No age limits.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Fellows are expected to write a minimum of one article per month and a maximum of three articles per month for HigherEdMilitary in addition to the possibility of other project work as needed. This is a part-time position with a maximum workload of 10 hours per week.
- Fellows are expected to create and pitch topic ideas, brainstorm with editorial team on relevant pieces for the website and newsletters and be willing to write on assigned topics in a timely manner.
- Fellows are responsible for following AP style formatting and adhering to agreed upon deadlines.
Fellowships will last 6 months (with the opportunity for extensions on a case-by-case basis) and have flexible start dates. HigherEdMilitary fellows may be offered the opportunity to become regular contributors for HigherEdMilitary after their fellowship has concluded.
- Submissions must include a cover letter
- Submissions must include a resume or CV
- Submissions must include a writing sample (Can be previously published work. Must be no longer than 1,500 words.) The committee will look for long term potential demonstrated in the style, skill, and topic of the writing sample. Writing samples with a topical focus relating to higher education and the military are encouraged.
About HigherEdMilitary: HigherEdMilitary is a resource to the military-connected community at colleges and universities. HigherEdMilitary is the first and only online community designed specifically for military-connected higher education professionals, featuring original and curated news, information, and job opportunities in one central place.