PRT Vehicle Technician-Transportation I
The Transportation unit at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a PRT Technician I.
About the Opportunity:
The WVU Personal Rapid Transit System (PRT) is a totally automated public transportation system consisting of five passenger stations, 73 driverless automated vehicles, two maintenance facilities, nine miles of dedicated guideway and a vast array of ancillary equipment. The PR Technician I (mechanical) position provides the mechanical expertise and actions necessary to accomplish the mechanical maintenance and repairs to all PRT systems at a semi skill level. This position, as assigned, works various shifts (including weened days), overtime as assigned, and performs on site throughout the transit system, indoors and outdoors, under various weather conditions.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
Work Hours:6:00 am - 2:00 pm
What you'll do:
- 70 % - Performs entry level mechanical skills necessary for mechanical maintenance, troubleshooting and repair actions (including hydraulics, pneumatics, suspension, steering, brakes, doors, modules, etc.)
- 15% - Repair PRT guideway structures, stations, buildings, fences, and supporting equipment. Performs scheduled maintenance actions and general maintenance type repairs (including steel, masonry, painting, cleaning, etc.)
- 10% - Learn to perform a variety of miscellaneous support activities necessary to support the overall maintenance mission including:
- Operates a four-wheel drive vehicle with standard transmission with valid driver's license.
- Operates special purpose motor equipment within the maintenance facility and on the guideway structure.
- Implements emergency response plans and actions for unplanned or emergency events.
- Routinely communicates with other PRT employees via hand-held UHF radio to provide vital information.
- As needed and as assigned by the shift supervisor, participates in PRT vehicle recoveries and begins training as a MOCU (manual override control unit) operator.
- Interprets maintenance manuals, schematics and drawings, and communicates with others in performance of work.
- Opens and closes passenger stations.
- Makes recommendations for hardware and procedural changes which become evident during performance of the PRT maintenance effort.
- Attends technical and safety training as assigned.
- Works to keep work area clean and organized.
- Maintains assigned tools and is responsible for tool inventory.
- Responsible for assigned keys and the access they provide.
- Performs snow removal and de-icing as assigned.
- Supports PRT operation for special events (football games, basketball games, concerts, etc.).
- Accounts for man hours and material used in the performance of maintenance.
- As assigned, functions as a group leader for other maintenance personnel.
- 5% - Performs various types of minor auto body repairs and painting.
- Job requires knowledge of grammar, spelling, mathematical functions, and written communication skills as would normally be acquired through attainment of a high school diploma. Associates degree of over 18 months and up to three years beyond high school required in mechanical or electrical systems.
- Zero to six months mechanical maintenance and repair.
- Ability to complete the PRT Job Proficiency Training Program requirements.
- Knowledge and experience with materials, methods, tools, hazardous and safety practices of the mechanical systems trade, including power hand tools and basic machine shop tools.
- Ability to understand and quickly learn new (different) complex mechanical procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to satisfactorily perform troubleshooting, basic repairs, and maintenance procedures on a wide variety of complex mechanical equipment.
- Basic knowledge of the techniques and operation of electric and gas welding.
- Knowledge of first aid and CPR.
- Maintain proper attendance and punctuality standards.
- Have excellent interpersonal relations, particularly when dealing with the public.
- Maintain average or above work standards.
- Valid driver's license
- Requires mandatory (DOT) Drug Testing - Federal Requirement
- Physical demands include:
- Standing and walking on concrete
- Lifting heavy objects over 75 lbs
- Bending over objects
- Standing under heavy objects
- Pushing heavy objects
- Bending down to hook up support equipment
- Working in tight areas
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 17, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes