Assistant Director, Research Compliance for Human Subjects - Research
Kennesaw State University
Laboratory and Research
Job ID: 250625
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Find your wings at KSU!
Are you ready to join a community leading in innovative teaching and learning? Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. With our growing enrollment and global reach, we are enjoying increased prominence among Georgia's colleges. We offer more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees to over 43,000 students. Our entrepreneurial spirit, high-impact research, and Division I athletics also draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Our university's vibrant culture, diversity, career opportunities, and rich benefits make us an employer of choice. We are searching for talented people to join our mission. Come to KSU and find your passion.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
Manages the privileged and confidential institutional review and approval process of all proposed research activities involving human subjects to protect their safety, rights, and welfare. Under administrative direction, will serve as a member, with vote, on the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Performs highly complex duties to facilitate the review and approval process, such as use of independent judgment in interpreting and applying relevant federal and state laws, regulations, and institutional policies and guidelines. Conducts literature reviews and prepares reports on scientific topics and on regulatory precedent and changes. Instructs IRB chairs, members, and researchers on the regulations and ethical principles essential to the review process. Provides training and advice to faculty, staff, and student researchers on the regulations and on preparation of applications and consent forms. Reviews and approves administrative and procedural modifications of applications.
1. Serves as a voting member of the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and functions as a designated reviewer for exempt and expedited reviews
2. Participates in appropriate professional organizations and continuing education programs
3. Interprets and applies federal and state laws, regulations, institutional policies, and guidelines to protect human subjects and to ensure institutional compliance
4. Ensures research activities are carried out in a manner that is compliant with all federal, state and local requirements by providing direction on promoting and maintaining required compliance
5. Provides regulatory, ethical, and methodological advice to individual faculty, staff, and students in preparation of applications for research proposals involving human subjects and consent documents
6. Drafts correspondence that conveys Institutional Review Board (IRB) deliberations and contingencies for approval of research activities involving human subjects
7. Assists in program development, implementation and evaluation
8. Establishes and maintains oneself as a professional expert and resource to the organization, patients, families and the Community
9. Supervises assigned staff and/or student assistants; handles time and attendance, performance management and the oversight of day-to-day department operations and assignments
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education
Other Required Qualifications
Institutional Review Board professional certification or must obtain within twelve 12 months of employment
Two (2) years of experience related to human subjects' research and compliance
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Master's Degree in Research Administration or other similar field relating to human subjects' research administration
Previous management experience in human subjects' research administration
The budgeted salary range is $88,389 to $90,000. Offers are based on relevant experience.
Comprehensive benefits to include Medical, Dental, Vision, 13 paid holidays, vacation, generous retirement plans, tuition waiver, wellness options, and much more! Visit hr.kennesaw.edu/benefits.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one-time meeting assigned deadlines
Expert knowledge of regulatory information regarding the use of human participation in research and teaching
Advanced knowledge of human subjects' protections, regulations and best practices
Demonstrates understanding of the principles of human research protection standards
Significant working knowledge of research procedures and terminology, medical terminology, clinical trials, and research data management
Knowledge of medical/scientific areas
In-depth understanding of operational requirements pertaining to management and implementation of protocol process
Direct research compliance experience
Demonstrates strategic oversight experience
Strong leadership and management skills
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem-solving, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management, and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
- Position of Trust + Education
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=250625&PostingSeq=1