IT Product Manager, Atlassian
Posting Number: req12121
Department: Infra & Foundational Tech
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The UITS Service Management Team needs a Product Manager that directs, delivers, and maintains technology solutions that enhance research, learning, and operations. Provides expertise in technology strategy, policies, plans, architectures, deployments, and maintenance of the University's applications, systems, and security of end-user services. The successful candidate will plan and design Atlassian solutions, trains on enterprise platform usage and leading practices, and serves as a liaison between business units and developers to enhance Atlassian products, Jira and Confluence.
The candidate will be responsible for gathering data and performing analysis of digital inventories in support of the transition project to move from on-premise Atlassian server products to hosted (SaaS) Atlassian products, with a strong focus on Jira and Confluence. Candidate will conduct research and discovery on current product (customer base, usage, licensing, etc.), build metrics and service delivery methods, assist with vendor/partner procurement, and management of the transition project. Once project is completed, this person will be the SME and champion for Atlassian products, and further support the Service Management Team with future projects and adopted enterprise IT products and services. Arizona residents preferred, but out of state workers may be considered.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
University Information Technology Services (UITS) has over 300 employees and an annual operating budget of approximately $77.6 million. It is the University's central IT unit and provides enterprise-level technologies and services that are broadly consumed, core to central administrative business operations, and tend to offer substantial economies of scale. Technology at the University of Arizona is essential to the mission of research, teaching, and learning and is the foundation to the academic and administrative operations of the campus. With a new future on the horizon, UITS has taken this unique moment to emerge with even more robust service capabilities than we offered before the pandemic. UITS works in collaboration with department and college IT units to enhance student experiences to connect, discover, and engage with the University, curricula, and beyond. UITS supports research for innovative solutions for global challenges and embraces the spirit of entrepreneurship and the values of diversity and inclusion.Outstanding
UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life
insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays;
UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members;
state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural
activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been
recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about
working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, pleaseclick here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Investigate current Atlassian (on-prem) products to include Jira, Confluence, and associated plug-ins and applications. This includes costs, licensing, user base, use-cases, etc.
- Meet with users & stakeholders, UITS Tools Team, AWS team, and product vendors to establish a thorough understanding ofour current products and their uses.
- Plan transition project: Research vendors, licensing, use-cases, etc. Gather requirements, perform risk analysis, lead any purchasing exercises that may include RFP, RFI, or request for bids. Develop project plans, gather resources, etc.
- Lead, manage, and execute on the above planned project. This will include leading/advising a 3rdparty transition partner.
- Become a Jira and Confluence SME (if not one already), and be a champion for the new hosted product line post-migration.
- Hire and lead up to 2 student workers (provide training, direction, leadership, timekeeping, etc).
- As a Product and Project Manager for the Atlassian Platform:
- Supports budgeting/purchasing to include understanding total cost of ownership (vendor costs, purchases, personnel costs, maintenance, training, etc), purchasing & acquisition initiatives, and forecasts future costs.
- Manages the delivery of services and products.
- Serves as project manager for implementing new hosted platform (and retires legacy system).
- Implementing request management processes so that request queues are reviewed regularly, shares information with leadership.
- Develops and provides KPIs/OKRsand other meaningful metricsto Service Owners, Service Managers, and Leadership.
- As a Product Manager for the Service Management Team, you will be directing program area activities for business partners, consultants, stakeholders, student workers, business analysts, system administrators, and application developers.
- Manages the product lifecycle from development to delivery, acting as a liaison with associated departments and executives to ensure the process runs smoothly.
- Identifies gaps or opportunities to update, upgrade, and create more impact with our current line of products, while maintaining knowledge of the organization's offerings.
- Leads strategy meetings and work across multiple departments to manage the product lifecycle, engaging in troubleshooting as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of higher education administrative systems and related business principles.
- Knowledge of information systems design including computer applications.
- Proficiencies with Atlassian products: Jira and Confluence
- Skill in planning, organizing and directing project team members to meet goals and objectives.
- Skill in facilitating group and managerial meetings.
- Skill in coordinating the development and presentation of user oriented training programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Skill in conducting group and 1-on-1 interviews.
- Skill in writing technical and non-technical materials including plans, vendor agreements, processes + procedures, database analysis, and project reports.
- Ability to translate technical and data driven topics into content that can be understood by a general audience.
- Ability to work on challenges and opportunities that are strategic in nature, are varied, and involve evaluation and interpretation. Problems may require the development of new approaches, methods or techniques, requiring significant innovation and creativity.
- Works to influence within and outside of job function regarding policies, standards and processes.
- Communication occurs within the division and department, and externally as well. Requires the ability to communicate with management and leadership.
- Work is performed with moderate guidance.
- Work is reviewed to ensure objectives are met.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to work remote.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration,or related field AND 5 years of relevant work experience
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
- Masters Degree or certificate in relevant field.
- Expertise with Atlassian Products (Jira and Confluence).
- Developer or Administrator experience with Atlassian Products (Jira and Confluence).
- Experience with ServiceNow.
- PMP or other project management certification.
- Be able to work and be productive working remotely, to include being proficient with collaboration tools (Slack, Teams, Zoom) and be available for web/video meetings (planned and ad hoc).
- Experience with collaborative tools such as Slack, Git, Box, G-suite, Confluence,Teams, and Zoom.
- Experience with Office and other applications and collaboration tools
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Information Technology
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $78,035 - $106,517
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
IT Project Mgmt
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.