Special Events Specialist
Posting Number: req12123
Department: Parking and Transportation
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) at the University of Arizona is in search of a Special Events Specialist. This person will provide broad administrative and field support to Special Events Department. Their primary function is to assist the Program Coordinator with event staffing requirements and activities, which include: material and equipment inventory, decal and sign making, equipment set-ups, and cart cleaning and maintenance. This individual will provide support for various events and activities for the department. They will also assist in the supervision of event staff, which includes University staff, students, and temps. The Special Events Specialist will working closely with event coordinators to staff events, train staff, and supervise assigned area(s).
This position requires evening and weekend shifts.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with field set ups, and decal and sign making requirements.
- Maintain special event equipment, service request and set up request logs.
- Act as area coordinator for campus events.
- Be prepared to act as a fee collector in case of employee absences.
- Attends PTS meetings regarding events on campus: TFOB, Football, Campus Use, etc.
- Attend and lead fee collector class, as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of emergency procedures for event parking.
- Knowledge of campus parking locations, and usage allowed for event parking.
- Prepare sign-in time cards for each event.
- Assist Special Event Manager with special projects and requests for event information.
- Assists with staff and student scheduling through Shiftboard.
- Assist with evaluating event parking to ensure optimal utilization of space.
- Report on supply status and needs on a monthly basis.
- Properly dispose of outdated files, as per PTS and University policies.
- Weekly golf cart maintenance and cleaning.
- Assist with mall gate openings and garage staffing, as needed.
- Scanning and shredding payroll and employee files.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Demands:
- Outdoor Environment: Employees work outdoors and may not be protected from weather conditions.
- Extreme Cold: Temperatures typically below 32 degrees for more than an hour.
- Extreme Heat: Temperatures above 100 degrees for more than an hour.
- Hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals in a work setting.
- Oils: There is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids.
- Lifting/transport up to 30 pounds often.
- Lifting/transport up to 50 pounds rarely.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required
- Valid Driver's License and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Academic
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.00
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Conference & Events
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Human Resources & Organizational Development Manager
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.