Information Security Analyst I
Posting Number: req12119
Department: Information Security Office
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
This position is an entry level position. The potential recruit will serve as one member of the Security Operation Center team within the larger Information Security Office. They will be expected to work with other engineers, analysts, and compliance team members and the campus community, detecting, analyzing, and reporting on potential malicious activity. Our engineers evaluate, configure, deploy, and manage cloud-based information security tools and infrastructure. High standards of customer service, trustworthiness, and commitment are desired alongside solid technical skills as we work to maintain and improve the security stance of the university.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
University Information Technology Services (UITS) has over 300 employees and an annual operating budget of approximately $77.6 million. It is the University's central IT unit and provides enterprise-level technologies and services that are broadly consumed, core to central administrative business operations, and tend to offer substantial economies of scale. Technology at the University of Arizona is essential to the mission of research, teaching, and learning and is the foundation to the academic and administrative operations of the campus. With a new future on the horizon, UITS has taken this unique moment to emerge with even more robust service capabilities than we offered before the pandemic. UITS works in collaboration with department and college IT units to enhance student experiences to connect, discover, and engage with the University, curricula, and beyond. UITS supports research for innovative solutions for global challenges and embraces the spirit of entrepreneurship and the values of diversity and inclusion.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- SIEM related configuration, evaluation, monitoring, and improvement.
- Vulnerability monitoring and reporting.
- Dashboard and Metric Reporting.
- Participating in consultation with other engineers and analysts to improve efficacy of information security tools and procedure.
- Security tool evaluation, deployment, and maintenance.
- Evaluate, automate, document, configure, monitor, and manage cloud-based information security tools, technology, and infrastructure.
- Arrange various technology platforms to help detect bad actors, protect and defend IT assets, identify vulnerabilities, and report pertinent security metrics.
- Provide technical knowledge for the implementation of security measures to protect information systems, networks, and data.
- Use machine data such as logs and time-series data to generate reports, alerts, and dashboards.
- Contribute security knowledge to discussions and planning for overall security architecture for the University, ensuring security is a foundational concept.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation, handle escalations, and be available to work extended and/or alternative hours as needed for deploys, system maintenance, problem remediation, etc.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree ANDMinimum of 1 year of relevant work experience
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
- One or more of the following certifications (highly preferred): GSEC, GCIH, GCFA, GCFE, GNFA, GREM.
- 1-2 years working in a security operations center with knowledge or experience in threat monitoring, and incident management.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Hands on experience working with security information and event management tools.
- Experience with the following technologies/services theory, principles, and practices: -Cloud computing (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud) -Common scripting languages (e.g. Python, PowerShell, bash) -Infrastructure-as-code (e.g. AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible,Puppet, Chef).
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Information Technology
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $59,005 - $80,542
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.