Zone Maintenance Trades Specialist Lead II - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applicants for a Trades Specialist Lead II position.
About the OpportunityUnder the guidance of the Operations Manager, this position will coordinate, participate in, and direct the activities of assigned crews in the performance of various maintenance activities. They will also provide leadership and guidance in all craft areas to fulfill work requirements within the University under all operating conditions.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
The Division of Facilities and Services encompasses seven units that are integral to the University's success. Each of our units employs talented and skilled workers whose jobs range from planning and managing construction of the institution's outstanding facilities to maintaining, protecting and improving the University's buildings and grounds. Facilities and Services takes care of every aspect of WVU so that its employees, students and guests are safe and satisfied on campus.
PAY GRADE: 15
Work Hours:Monday-Friday; 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
What you'll do:
- Functions as a team leader, providing guidance to journeymen, maintenance workers, trades workers, apprentices and any other support personnel as required. Follows procedures and makes work assignments to those individuals assigned to the crew. Ensures work is completed in a timely fashion. Ensures proper quality and quantity standards are met. Inspects completed work assignments of assigned employees to ensure quality control.
- Trouble shoots all types of equipment and initiates corrective action. Provides trouble shooting guidance to assigned employees.
- Mentors apprentice employees. Maintains documentation for apprentice program and ensures training and instruction requirements are met.
- Coordinates work schedules and initiates the purchasing of needed materials.
- Ensures that proper safety procedures, equipment, and personal protective equipment are utilized by all assigned employees.
- Receives work orders. Interfaces with Work Control, supervisors, managers, and the requestor to finalize project needs and scope. Assists supervisor with multi-craft projects related to overall work assignments. Communicates work schedules and goals to employees and customer, creating efficiency and a timely completion of assigned tasks.
- Provides continual inspection of assigned area to ensure assignments are completed on schedule; recommends to the supervisor major repair needs; assists supervisor in updating deferred maintenance list.
- Conducts various training relating to; computer software, PPE, proper tool usage, selection and application of various products and materials, and instructs employees about changes in university policies and procedures.
- Individual will have responsibility to read and review prints on new and existing building projects for repair or construction associated with specific job duties and expertise. Individual will also develop as-built sketches of completed projects.
- Individual will maintain knowledge of state, federal, and local codes and requirements pertaining to maintenance and construction. Individual will attend project meetings and interact with contractors, vendors, and engineers as needed.
- Determines and recommends to the supervisor the needs of the project in regard to crew size, types of crafts, material availability, equipment, paperwork, safety checks to maintain proper work and material flow in order to maintain schedule.
- Provides daily reports on actual progress versus projected progress to supervisor. Maintains the original scope of work to ensure project cost control. Informs supervisor of needed discipline and performance problems. Ensures that assigned employees processes all work requests, material requisitions, weekly reports, and invoices necessary to complete assignments according to Facilities Management operating procedures.
- Prepares written documents pertaining to needed repairs. Defines scope of work and provides cost estimates as required by the supervisor.
- Assists supervisor in disciplinary action.
- Utilizes a computer to prepare and work with word documents, spread sheets, prints, email, internet access (search for materials and information), building support systems, and work management and time management programs, etc.
- Fills in for Operations Manager. Inventories individual assigned work tools of crews. Assists in interviewing of candidates. Assists in the detailed design of projects. Must be able to respond when called during off hours to cover emergency situations.
- Performs tasks in all craft areas relating to maintenance. Must be knowledgeable of repair and maintenance procedures associated with the carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and mechanical maintenance trades.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of carpentry maintenance and repair. Performs task related to the carpentry trade, such as but not limited to, repairing, and installing various types of floors covering, repairing, and installing various trims and casework, repairing, and installing drywall, repairing, and installing doors and hardware, repairing, and installing vinyl cove base, constructing concrete forms, installing temporary barricades, repairing, and installing suspended ceilings, etc.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of electrical maintenance and repair. Performs task related to the electrical trade, such as but not limited to, replacing lights switches, ballasts, outlets, sockets, lamping, resetting, and replacing breakers, trouble shooting, installation and minor repairs to various types of interior and exterior lighting systems, etc.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of plumbing maintenance and repair. Performs Task related to the plumbing trade, such as but not limited to, repair and maintenance of faucets, opening plugged drains, replacing worn or damaged traps, tightening loose packing, repairing flush valves, replacing worn or damaged commode seats, installation, and minor repair of water lines, etc.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of mechanical maintenance and repair. Performs task related to the mechanical maintenance trade, such as but not limited to, alignment of pulleys and couplings on small equipment, replace worn or damaged belts, lubricate bearings, and maintain lubricant levels, check fluid levels, check equipment for excessive vibrations, clean blowers and fans as required, etc.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of HVAC maintenance and repair. Performs task related to HVAC trade, such as but not limited to, calibration and adjustment of temperature controls, minor repairs to AC and HV units, minor repairs to refrigeration units (those not requiring EPA certification),
- Provides leadership and guidance in the area of painting maintenance and repair. Performs task related to painting maintenance, such as but not limited to, painting small pieces of trim used for repairs, painting boards used for the installation of window AC units, paints various equipment as required, stains and finishes small pieces of material used for repairs and maintenance, etc.
- Completion of vocational/technical training of up to 18 months beyond high school or an equivalence of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience in the following:
- Four or more of the following skilled trades:
- Mechanical Maintenance
- Leadership, supervisory, and/or training experience required
- Four or more of the following skilled trades:
- Valid driver's license required for driving state vehicles
- Physical demands include the ability to:
- Stand, lift, bend, climb, crawl, and walk for extended periods
- Lift and carry objects over 50 pounds
- Work at heights exceeding 10 feet
- Hear and interpret sounds and distinguish colors in the work area
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 13, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes