Community Outreach Professional I (Extended Temporary) (Phoenix, AZ)
Posting Number: req12192
Department: Maricopa County Office
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: Phoenix, AZ USA
The University of Arizona Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) supports the health and well-being of families in communities with low access to resources to make healthy changes in homes and neighborhoods. From local gardens in the community, to working with children's schools to create healthy environments, SNAP-Ed provides families opportunities to be active and healthy their way. (Funding comes from the Federal Government through Arizona Department of Health Services' AZ Health Zone.) The University of Arizona Maricopa County Cooperative Extension provides services to 5 communities in Maricopa County. The Community Outreach Professional I position will work in Buckeye (downtown area). This position will work with community residents and partners to develop and deliver nutrition, food access, active living, and direct education strategies that promote Policy, Systems and Environmental changes at community and school settings.
Applicants would benefit from lived or work experience in the Buckeye area. They would also benefit from understanding Trauma-Informed Principles, Health Equity, and community engagement.
This is an Extended Temporary Employment (ETE) position.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with Buckeye residents, organizations, businesses, City Council, and stakeholders to develop specific strategies that address needs for healthy changes in homes and community.
- Support food systems policies that increase availability, distribution and promotion of low or no-cost healthy food and increase. This includes working with community gardens, farmers, food banks, summer food service programs, farmers markets, etc.
- Establish and support physical activity groups for adults and increase and improve access to local physical activity resources. This includes working with parks, recreation centers, schools, etc.
- Support the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies that promote nutrition and physical activity at schools and after school programs.
- Research and grant needs, data collection, and reporting (SARN, SEEDS, Collection Summaries) for area of responsibility.
equipment and materials to sites served.
- Must be able to
lift/move/transport up to 50 lbs.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field of study: nutrition, public health, etc., or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required.
- 1 year of relevant work experience required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy..
- Must have a reliable, personal vehicle.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Outreach and Community Engagement
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $21.63
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Outreach & Community Engage
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Expected End Date: 3/15/2024
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Finalists will need to provide 3 references upon request.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.