Student Accounts Coordinator
Position Title: Student Accounts Coordinator
# of Positions to Fill: 1
Department/Program: Financial Aid 55000
Remote Work Authorization: Hybrid On-Site/Remote
Campus Location: Arapahoe Campus
Reports to: Director of Student Financial Services
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt/Hourly
FTE: 100% (40 hrs/week)
Compensation: $20.45 – $22.95 per hour
The primary function of the Student Accounts Coordinator is to assist students and families in the student financial planning process to enhance the recruitment and retention of a diverse student body. This role serves as a primary contact for current and prospective students requesting information or needing help with their student account. This role is additionally responsible for student accounts receivable processing to ensure operational efficiency.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Key Accountability 1: Student Customer Service (45% of total effort)
- Act as a primary contact for students and families requesting student account assistance via phone, email, Zoom, face-to-face, and group information sessions.
- Counsel students and families regarding program costs, payment deadlines, payment methods, payment plans, 529 plans, State Vocational Rehabilitation, and other 3rd party payees.
- Perform student outreach regarding billing alerts, payment deadlines, past-due balances, holds, stale checks, and credit balance processing.
- Maintain FAQs, templates, communication plans for the Student Accounts office.
- Collect payments in-person and over the phone.
- Help troubleshoot online payment issues.
- Assist students with setting up payment plans.
- Cashier payments collected in-person, over phone, ACH, Wire Transfer, and by mail.
- Process weekly student credit balance.
- Process Student Account Invoices: State DVR, Withdrawn/LOA students, Third Party Payees, etc.
- Review student accounts to ensure accurate billing, especially in the case of course/program withdrawal/change.
- Work interdepartmentally to ensure proper fee maintenance.
- Perform Account Adjustments when necessary.
- Provide Finance department with ACH student payment files for upload to the bank.
- Record wire transfer payments and third party ACH payments, including outside aid.
- Post Recruit and Admin payments in Student Information System.
- Create and upload statements to Touchnet and annual 1098-T forms.
- Manage HOLDs placed on student accounts for non-payment.
- Manage collections with the Finance department for past due balances.
- Collaborate with the Finance department for monitoring stale check re-processing.
- Maintain working knowledge of institutional policies and procedures related to Student Financial Services.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Student Information Systems (Colleague, TouchNet, SharePoint, etc.).
- Cross-train with other Student Financial Services positions, to serve as back-up when needed.
- Other duties as periodically assigned.
- All job candidates must hold a commitment to co-create a diverse and inclusive community and actively participate in related JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion) professional development regarding the dynamics of privilege and oppression and the impact these have in the workplace.
- All job candidates must demonstrate their level of understanding of the dynamics of privilege and oppression, and the impact these have on equity, access, and opportunity.
- All job candidates must demonstrate an appropriate level of understanding of and appreciation for the values of Naropa University and the capacity to demonstrate an integration and embodiment of these values as evidenced in work, communication, collaboration styles, and other general workplace behaviors.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- One (1) year of accounting and/or cash management experience, preferably in higher education
- One (1) year of direct customer service experience
If “Yes”, describe experience and educational equivalents in the space below:
Three (3) + years of experience working in Student Accounts for an accredited institution of higher learning, or in the accounting field, may substitute for Bachelor’s degree.
(PLEASE NOTE: each applicant’s experience and demonstrated skills are assessed on a case-by-case basis as to their relevancy to the position applied for as well as whether they may substitute for required degree.)
Other Experience, Knowledge, Skills, or Competencies Requirements?
- Excellent oral/written communication – ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and solutions
- Attention to detail - thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail
- Leadership – strength in taking an objective and resources and bringing the idea to fruition
- Collaboration – capability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Critical Thinking – secure relevant information, identify issues, and generate proposed solution
- Detailed knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel)
- Proven exceptional customer service skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
- Three (3) + years Accounts Receivable experience
- One (1) + year of experience at an institution of higher education
- Experience working with a Student Information System (preferably Colleague)
Maximum amount of weight employee must be able to lift/carry with or without reasonable accommodation(s):
Periodically up to 20 lbs. unassisted
During regular daily activities, employee must be able to do the following with or without reasonable accommodation: Stand, walk, sit, handle/finger, bend at the waist, reach above shoulder level.
During regular daily activities, employee may be exposed to the following: Interruptions/distractions.
Naropa’s health and welfare benefits include the following: medical, dental, vision, FSA, HSA, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment, an employer-sponsored pre-tax retirement savings plan, and a variety of voluntary, employee-paid supplemental insurance plans.
A comprehensive benefits package is available to full-time employees who work a minimum of 30 hours each week.
Employees who work 20 – 29 hours each week are eligible for only the employer-paid short-term & long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance & accidental death and dismemberment, and the retirement plan.
Employees who work fewer than 20 hours per week are eligible to participate in Naropa’s retirement plan only.
All regular full-time and part-time employees accrue sick leave benefits; accrual rates vary based on the position, hours worked, and years of service.