Director of Residential Education
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for a Director of Residential Education. The Director of Residential Education reports to the Vice President for Student Life. The Director coordinates, administers and assesses all aspects of the University’s residential education program with the goal of supporting the personal, social, cultural, intellectual growth and success of students. The incumber will supervise the live-in staff - Residential Education Coordinators (RECs) and Administrative Assistant for the department. The Director reports to and works with the Vice President of Student Life to develop, implement and assess student success initiatives.
This position is a full-time, exempt position. NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, a significant vacation and holiday package and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service among other benefits.Responsibilities
- Directing the day-to-day management, supervisor and administration of the University’s various campus residential facilities.
- Hiring and supervision of professional and student staff members.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures to maintain a safe, healthy and welcoming environment for all residents.
- Serves as a member of the CARE Team; leading outreach for residential students in partnership with Residential Education Coordinators.
- Oversees programs to support the wellbeing of residential students.
- Promote student success and retention by working to align academic support, early intervention programs, campus involvement and vocational exploration within residential education.
- Works with Residential Education Coordinators and Peer Assistants to develop and monitor educational, developmental, and social programs and services within Residential Education and serves as the director-level back-up to REC on-call process.
- Teaches STLF 2100: Residential Peer Assistant experiential learning course.
- Oversees and assesses student learning within residential education.
- Collaborate with campus safety and security and other stakeholders in the event of campus crisis or threat assessment and assist with coordination, communication, and implementation of emergency response plans and action; oversees communication between Residential Education and stakeholders.
- Serves on committees and interdisciplinary teams to monitor and promote campus safety (e.g. Threat Assessment Team, Coordinated Community Response Team).
- Collaborate on programs to reduce high-risk behavior associated with alcohol and drug use.
- Represent Residential Education to various departments including admissions, campus security, and the business office, as well as to students and their parents, and the general public.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Master’s degree required; 5+ years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, including supervisory experience.A successful candidate will also possess the following skills:
- Vision, creativity and leadership in Residential Education and Student Life with progressive administrative experience; employee development experience.
- Understanding of student development theory, experience designing and assessing education within student life.
- Understanding of current issues in higher education, and relevant laws, regulations, and standards related to higher education.
- Strong record of collaboration and consensus building across constituencies.
- Experience in establishing, directing and enforcing policies and regulations.
- Demonstrated skills in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication; strong organizational skills; experience with budgeting.
- Commitment to the liberal arts.
- Experience working effectively with a diverse group of students, faculty and staff.
- Confidentiality, including but not limited to FERPA compliance.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply:
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please visit the NWU website for more information about this position at https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/about-nwu/employment-opportunities.