The Facilties and Services Department in the Health Sciences Center at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Materials Handler.
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Assistant Director and Supervisor or Lead this position will perform both receiving duties and mail service as outlined for the Health Sciences facility and Research Corporation.
We strongly belive in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Receive emergency materials, construction materials, research specialty items, grant funded items, essential supplies.
- Delivers materials, parts, tools, research equipment and safety equipment. Performs arranging, loading and storage of items warehoused. Posts all disbursements on database. Assesses condition of packages and containers for damages reporting any inconsistency
- Operates warehouse equipment such as hand trucks, labeling devices, and other motorized/non-motorized equipment for pick up, delivery, and storing of materials.
- Updates processes and procedures as necessary regarding shipping and receiving operations. Completes assigned tasks for the day to day operation of the shipping and receiving area at the Health Sciences Center. .Maintains Shipping and Receiving operating procedures. Initiates and completes administrative paperwork
- Works to improve and encourage customer service by answering questions and researching answers.
- Provides reporting and documentation information related services.
Mail Service Duties
- Coordinates and assign task for the day to day operation of the mail services at the Health Sciences Center. Retrieves mail from Federal Post Office for entire institution twice daily. Works with supervision to ensure area is covered during normal working hours and all transactions and daily operations are handled in a professional manner as may be expected in a Federal Postal operation
- Develops and maintains Post Office procedures. Assists Supervisor and Lead while following mailing procedures and cross training in all areas of the operation.
- Handles administrative paperwork and works to improve customer service. Updates information on a daily basis on data bases recording daily and monthly transactions. Assists customers on understanding and following proper procedures regarding postal regulations, shipping requirements, and various University guidelines that may be appropriate.
- Ensures the mail is sorted daily and distributed in a timely fashion (twice a day). Ensures that department mail accounts are kept accurate, appropriate postage is checked by workers, and transactions and mail equipment are operated appropriately.
- Inspects all incoming and outgoing mail to ensure all federal and state guidelines are followed utilizing oracle data information and tracking for certified mail, insured mail, international express and parcel mail and shipping services. Maybe required to operate a state vehicle for courier service.
- Ensures area remains secure during operating hours.
- Train newly assigned personnel.
- Attends safety training and other training as may be required.
- Records transactions in computerized database.
- Assures accuracy of data, tracking and documentation for entry records.
- Follow environmental and safety regulations and act in compliance with Federal and State laws.
Work Hours: Mon-Fri 8a-4p
Pay Grade:PG9 - WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.
High school or equivalent experience.
Background in purchasing procedures and shipping. This experience is essential to be able to follow guidelines in the State system.
- Mathematical skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to tactfully deal with administrators, vendors, etc..
- Knowledge of building trades
- Ability to understand of warehousing, shipping and mail services
- Ability to follow orals and written instruction
- Knowledge of simple accounting and inventory methods
- Ability to utilize a computer
- Demonstrated mathematical skills
- Good eye to hand skills
- Ability to organize, recognize and itemize numerical items
- Ability to follow OSHA guidelines and associated codes
- Background in purchasing procedures and shipping. This experience is essential to be able to follow guidelines in the State system.
- Valid Driver's License
- DOT Safety Training required within 6 months of hire date
- Fork Lift Training required within 6 months of hire date
- Pitney Bowes training within 6 months of hire date
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and carry items up to to 50 pounds
- Ability to climb ladders for storage
- Ability to operate forklift and similar equipment
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.