System Engineer (Hybrid) - WVRTC - Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
West Virginia University Research Corporation Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources is currently accepting applications for a System Engineer.
About the Opportunity
The West Virginia Robotic Technology Center (WVRTC) is looking for a system engineer for conducting work and research activities in the areas mechanical-, aerospace-, software-, electrical- engineering, computer science and/or information science. At WVRTC, you will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team to create and test robotic technologies for In-Space Servicing, Assembly and Manufacturing (ISAM) and technology development. The prime focus of the WVRTC is to support the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Research efforts include capturing orbiting satellites for refueling and repairing, performing complex in-space semi-autonomous assembly tasks as well as ground simulations of robotic systems operating on-orbit. The WVRTC also interacts with other entities as a subcontractor with projects supported from GSFC.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you'll do:
- Engineering design of hardware and software components to support WVRTC robotic research.
- Assist with general laboratory tasks, and field experiment project activities. Some activities may be project critical.
- Make regular reports and presentation to the sponsoring agency.
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
- Evaluate product data and design from inspections and reports for conformance to engineering principles, customer requirements, and quality standards.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment, components, and systems.
- Maintain records of performance reports for future reference. Review performance reports and documentation from customers and field engineers, and inspect malfunctioning or damaged products to determine problem.
- Serve as a procurement point of contact with vendors for high value procurements for both WVRTC and its sponsor(s).
- Develop new research proposals related to the area of on-orbit robotic Servicing, Assembly and Manufacturing.
- Maintain knowledge of sponsor development environment and be able to instruct team in that regard.
- May assist in development in other areas. These include implementing control algorithms, updating and testing existing software, integrating hardware systems, performing software maintenance and so on.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, computer science, software engineering, computer engineering or other related disciplines OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with Computer Aided Design software, particularly Solidworks and CREO.
- Excellent general knowledge of basic mechanical design principles.
- Ability to design and manufacture mechanical prototypes to specifically defined requirements.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Skill in using critical thinking by logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Excellent troubleshooting and complex problem solving skills.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Experience in C/C++ software development.
- Experience with writing software for robotic systems and supportive technology.
- Experience software and hardware systems integration.
- Ability to assess new APIs and tools for software development.
- Ability to support management in developing and maintaining IT security policy.
About Research Corporation
Why WVU Research Corporation?
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 12, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes