Business Manager, Arizona Center for Rural Health
Posting Number: req12159
Department: Rural Health Office
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: Drachman Hall, 1295 N Martin, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
Position HighlightsThe position oversees and provides management, stewardship, direction and finance/accounting for the Arizona Center for Rural Health (Center) at all levels. Business Management of financial planning, budgeting, accounting, agreement management, human resources and business development. This position reports to the Finance Manager and is a key member of the Center's leadership team. Collaboration between the flow of business with Center and the Finance Office at the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health must be a strength as well as the interrelationship between the University of Arizona Health Sciences functions of financial business Proposals and Contracts along with the functions of the University's Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services activities of Pre Award, Post Award and Contracts. Additionally this employee is a resource for the Arizona Health Education Center's finance office and may assist with that office's applicable finance activities. The position requires a person with excellent communication, initiative, diplomacy, knowledge of University, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to departmental budgets and accounting practices of government fund accounting.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation of the varied financial expenditure reports that are requested for/of our Center. Preparation of monthly accounting reports and their distribution to PI and Program Managers for review, understanding and program success for our Center. Preparation of budgets for varied situations such as new & continuing proposals, continuing budget period revisions, mid program delivery sequence understanding needs, cost and no cost extension budgets etc. Center funds management of finance and accounting concerning agreements and allocations that evolve from varied organizations such as Private, Tribal, County, State, Gift/Foundation and Federal Government. Sponsored activity via HRSA and AzDHS comprise the largest part of the Center's funding portfolio.
- Communication skills of high importance with ability to set priorities, organize and coordinate projects/programs, anticipate needs, work on multiple tasks under pressure of deadlines, along with exercising proper judgment, particularly with sensitive or confidential matters. Center meetings may involve long range needs or simple business strategy and with the proactiveness and attendance of these meetings time saving measures will occur with productivity.Time placed with attendance at regular meetings and conferences within the Center's work needs, with our Sponsors and with meetings of the varied University community. The Center builds and host several in state conferences. Attendance at conferences will assist with the conference successfulness with providing operations support along with any applicable business needs may be helpful and with this a benefit is meeting the colleagues we interact with within Arizona.
- Work with Center staff on human resource planning and position distribution opportunities involving our program. Effort placed brings together and delivers proper needs and next steps onto our CRH program funds. Communicates and mentors staff on Center's financial services operations to meet performance expectations and program delivery. Communicates regularly with the Center director, staff and faculty on financial and operations matters. Collaborations involve other Colleges and Departments across campus frequently. Work with Center Staff on program operations and travel activity needs. Knowledge of UA HR, Purchasing, Travel and Accounts Payable policies naturally is a key component for placing proactive steps into play.
- Oversees all aspects of UAHS pre-award proposal processing and manages post-award reporting. Of significant importance will be the issuance, monitoring and closeout of the varied purchase orders and subcontract awards involved with our Center's programs. These efforts are notoriously time consuming and demand a great level of attention and detail to ensure the best outcomes of intentions. Additional importance are the planning and work needs of our Center's program incoming and active awards and agreements. As noted above we derive a considerable amount of funding from agencies thus awareness and timeliness of keeping needs met and on track are important. Business management and guidance of Center staff for these agreements are of high importance.
- Review and monitor of our Center program delivery expenditures. Ensure at correct amounts, on correct program task and properly placed. Majority of operational items are simple and smooth but consume significant resource time to establish since we often are involved in rural communities and thus rural applications of the effort. Attention to detail of utmost importance when establishing these efforts so not to exhaust valuable time. Our Center currently is a hybrid work environment with numerous staff working on campus 2 or 3 days a week and away from campus the remaining days per week, we anticipate this position being a hybrid type position to become familiar with Center staff and College personnel.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Active listener.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $53,463 - $70,037, annually DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research Program Admin
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Rod Gorrell | email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.