Posting Number: req12161
Department: AZ Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Location: Main Campus
Address: 2831 N. Freeway Drive, Tucson, AZ 85705 USA
A position for a Laboratory Technician II is currently available in the University of Arizona's Research, Innovation & Impact's Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (AzVDL). The AzVDL is committed to excellence in diagnostic service, animal disease surveillance, being an active member of a laboratory network safeguarding against Foreign and Emerging Animal Disease and providing expertise to the veterinary community of Arizona.
In 2002 the AzVDL was one of the first laboratories to be approved as a Participant Laboratory of the National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN) to conduct testing in support of APHIS and the National Veterinary Service Laboratory. We continue to embrace being a part of this valuable contribution as our part of Institutional Excellence.
The position will provide molecular services to clients and the public as well as respond to any outbreaks or surveillance of disease as part of the NAHLN or APHIS. The technician will also provide molecular, serological and immunological tests for clinical, research and Federal or State regulated diagnostic tests. Also required is an ability to work in BSL-3 conditions and follow the testing and safety requirements.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform testing for identification of bacterial, parasitic, viral, and fungal pathogens from animal specimens.
- Perform molecular, serological, or immunological tests for the diagnosis of infectious animal diseases.
- Maintain detailed records of tests conducted and organize the data for database entry and archiving.
- Collaborate with management and co-workers to maintain record keeping and task management.
- Document revision and document control.
- Demonstrate proficiency in assigned microbiological, molecular, and/or immunological assays.
- Perform administrative and maintenance duties such as quality control, ordering supplies, preparation of solutions, inventory, and waste disposal.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to conduct laboratory procedures with reliable accuracy.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Understanding of aseptic technique.
- Superior pipetting skills.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Biological laboratory experience.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Veterinary and Animal Care
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Veterinary & Animal Care
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.