Student Engagement Coordinator
The Student Engagement Coordinator’s primary focus is to work with students, alumni, campus partners, and Alumni Association colleagues to promote student philanthropy and engagement. The Alumni Association’s three student programs -- Student Foundation, Student Ambassadors, and Student Alumni Association -- enhance the student experience by providing opportunities that connect students and alumni, amplify the student leadership experience and increase:
- Value of the Georgia Tech alumni network and the critical role alumni play in the success of the Institute.
- Importance of continuing the tradition of giving back to Tech through participation and philanthropy.
- Significance of a lifelong relationship with Georgia Tech and the Alumni Association.
The Student Engagement Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to advise the Student Alumni Association (gtsaa.com), and lead/assist planning various events and programs for student leaders and members. Additionally, this role will collaborate with the student and young alumni engagement team to build programming to welcome incoming students to Tech and raise the visibility of the Alumni Association. The departmental goal is set to be a joint effort to engage students from their first day on campus until graduation and beyond.
- Facilitate all aspects of the Student Alumni Association (SAA) including recruitment and engagement of around 400 members and managing the student leadership team.
- Manage the SAA Alumni Connections programs. Work with students to brainstorm speakers, make sure all registration pages are available and accurate, and provide behind the scenes support for these programs.
- Provide the SAA Leadership team and its committee’s opportunities for their personal and professional learning and development, team building and increased engagement and commitment to the Student Alumni Association.
- Manage the SAA Budget.
- Plan and execute Mentor Jackets (gtmentorjackets.com) programming, events, and orientations.
- Create relevant annual curriculum (including email activities, website content, social media content, and various mentoring resources) for use by Mentor Jackets participants.
- Manage marketing plan to recruit alumni mentors and student mentees for the program (one to one mentoring and minute mentoring) year-round and adjust based on needs and continue to promote the value of the program across campus and across the alumni network to ensure future participation.
- Run the Mentor Jackets pairing process (manually pair first time undergraduate mentees and using a custom software for student self-pairing and approval of pairs) and coordinate any student or staff assistance; Track the status of mentoring relationships, effectiveness of program, and capture relevant data through system-wide assessments.
- Support Campus Partner mentoring programs (LGBTQIA Mentor Jackets, Black Mentor Jackets, GT Band Mentoring, Jackets Mentor Jackets- Athletics) and work to recruit new partners.
- Plan and execute Alumni Association incoming student transition programs such as Week of Welcome events and Convocation partnership.
- Support planning of the Alumni Association’s student welcome event, Ramble on the Green.
- Understanding of student engagement, student development, and event planning. Some experience working with first-year students preferred.
- Ability to establish rapport with students resulting in student achievement in areas of programming, leadership development and personal development. Create effective personal and professional relationships with students while maintaining an advisory role. Tactfulness, confidence, and maturity are essential especially when working with students.
- Communication skills (written, verbal, and listening) and the ability to professionally represent the Alumni Association and Institute both internally and externally.
- Listening skills to determine the most appropriate way ahead to achieve greatest results as well as to determine the needs of others and find a way to meet them.
- Interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate and work successfully with multiple constituencies, both internal and external – Board of Trustees, alumni, students, prospective students, faculty and administration. The ability to recruit and work with a diverse student population is crucial.
- Flexibility, openness, and willingness to consider alternative ideas and suggestions.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple ongoing projects as well as track the activities of many student volunteers and members of various organizations.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required; an advanced degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs strongly preferred.
- Prefer 2+ years in student affairs, alumni relations, development, or higher education. Minimum of 1 year direct advising experience with students, student programs and/or student organizations. Graduate work in the field or related field is acceptable.
- Demonstrated leadership in initiating and implementing programming among student groups/organizations.
Students expecting to graduate in Spring 2023 are encouraged to apply. We will offer ample schedule flexibility while you complete your degree.
Business casual environment except for a few special events/meetings. Some evening/weekend work is required. Hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule. Flexibility is a must.
Georgia Tech alumni are unique. Over 185,000 strong, Tech alumni are successful as entrepreneurs, managers, scientists, engineers and leaders in organizations around the globe. The Alumni Association has a team of 45 professionals, committed to supporting GT alumni throughout their careers. Annually, we offer thousands of programs, services, and events to increase alumni engagement and expand their connection with the Institute. Come be a part of Georgia Tech – an amazing history and bright future. For more information about the Georgia Tech Alumni Association, please visit www.gtalumni.org.
The Georgia Tech Alumni Association is a separate, legal, 501(c)3 not-for-profit recognized by Georgia Tech and the State of Georgia as an affiliated organization. The Alumni Association is committed to the mission, "champion and serve its alumni and the Institute through programming and engagement that fosters lifelong relationships and philanthropic support.”