Archaeology Lab Director
Augustana University is seeking an Archaeology Lab Director for the Sioux Falls SD campus. The Director will oversee all operations of the Augustana University Archaeology Lab. The Director should think creatively in seeking revenue avenues for the Archaeology Laboratory in addition to directing archaeological research, cultural resource management (CRM), and historic preservation projects. A teaching load of 1 to 2 classes a year is preferred and negotiable. This is a full-time salary position. This position provides an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to build a small University-based cultural resource lab in creative ways.
Applicant must have a successful history of grant and/or proposal writing. Applicant should possess experience in drafting Programmatic Agreements and Memoranda of Agreement and Understanding with federal and state agencies. Pay is formulated on experience. Preferred start date – Immediately on hire or Dec 1st 2023.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Seek revenue avenues and funding sources to enhance and sustain the Archaeology Laboratory’s grant and contract base.
- Design and execute initiatives for student involvement in lab activities, including internships, field experiences, artifact analysis, and training workshops
- Prepare grant applications, proposals and research designs:
- Identify and apply for external grants and sources of funding
- Respond to requests for competitive cost proposals for small-scale projects. o Respond to requests for proposals for larger projects (some may be multi-year) that may require research designs, demonstrations of qualifications and cost proposals.
- Write proposals for both CRM and research or historic preservation projects.
- Carry out management of both small- and large-scale projects, establish project procedures and budget, schedule personnel, ensure that work is of professional quality and that the compliance process is completed.
- Interact with a variety of students, clients, consultants, and governmental and tribal agencies.
- Assist in supplying requested financial and project information to university administration and contracting agencies. Includes office-based tasks and familiarity with project accounts, maintaining financial records, and preparing and authorizing invoices.
- Supervise and/or lead field crews in a variety of environments; surveying, testing, monitoring, data recovery, recording and/or excavating prehistoric and historic sites.
- Complex coordination of client/consultant interaction, land access, field crew progress, and daily data transfer and management.
- Supervise and/or perform analysis of survey and excavation data.
- Prepare or oversee completion of well-written technical reports and documents that meet or exceed agency standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate multidisciplinary efforts with specialists on projects, as needed (e.g., geomorphology, remote sensing).
- Implement, enforce, and document Augustana and client safety standards for self and crews.
- Remain current with various agency requirements for conducting cultural resources work as well as with pertinent professional literature.
- Interact with students and avocational archeologists; participate in public outreach activities.
- Oversee maintenance of field equipment and vehicles.
- Other duties as needed.
- Education: Master’s degree in Anthropology; Ph.D. desired but not required.
- Experience in conducting archaeological fieldwork
- Experience with applying for grants and permits for archaeological work
- Ability to organize and track field data, and to collect GPS data using Trimble units and Tablets or comparable GPS equivalents.
- GIS and Arc View competence required.
- Experience in teaching or advising undergraduate students required Valid Driver’s License required.
- Ability to be listed on State and Federal Permits.
- Experience in cultural resource management and NHPA compliance is preferred.
- Experience with RFPs preferred
- Experience working with tribal consultation specialists is preferred.
- Current listing as a Registered Professional Archaeologist (or qualified for RPA status) preferred.
- Experience in Northern Plains archeology preferred but not required.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, PowerPoint or reasonable substitutes preferred.
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
If you are looking for a rewarding and dynamic career, look no further than Augustana University in Sioux Falls, SD. Augustana offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, retirement plan, tuition assistance, holiday, vacation and sick pay.
Application Procedure: Priority consideration will be given to applicants who apply before November 13th. Interested applicants should complete an Augustana University Employment Application , provide a cover letter, statement of diversity, a resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three referees. Application materials are to be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Official website: www.augie.edu .Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete a pre-employment background check.