Volunteer Instructor - Biology
University of the People (UoPeople), a non-profit dedicated to opening access to higher education is currently seeking Volunteer Instructors to teach undergraduate courses in Biology. Your service as a Volunteer Instructor will support UoPeople’s global mission to offer affordable, quality, online, degree-granting educational programs to any qualified student. Instructors should plan for a weekly commitment of around 15 hours of volunteering for the duration of the nine-week UoPeople term. The University will issue modest expense reimbursements to Volunteer Instructors ($450 to teach one course and $900 for two courses) in appreciation for their generous contributions toward our mission.
UoPeople Volunteer Instructors must make a weekly commitment of about 15 hours to course-related activities, which consist of responding to student emails and messages, posting discussion questions, engaging with students, grading learning journals, and reviewing peer assessments. Each UoPeople course is nine weeks long and is taught fully online in the learning management system. Instructors must be able to teach in an online world and understand the needs of a very diverse student population.
- Devote approximately 15 hours per course per week.
- Maintain an instructor presence in the course with frequent check-ins and responsiveness to students.
- Communicate effectively with diverse student populations and an international administration.
- Teach course subject matter to ensure every student can master learning outcomes.
- Regularly check in with Faculty Affairs administrators regarding any course issues.
- Monitor course grades and finalize grades by deadlines.
- Model sensitivity to a diverse student population, representing the full spectrum of cultural, political, socio-economic, and religious backgrounds.
- Online teaching experience using a learning management system is preferred, but not required.
- The minimum degree requirement is a master's degree in the discipline. To teach Oral Health, candidates should have a degree in dentistry, a degree in public health with a focus in oral health, or a related degree with professional experience in dentistry or oral health.
How to Join
Interested applicants should submit an application via our instructor application portal at the following address: https://www.uopeople.edu/volunteer/
Who We Are
University of the People (UoPeople)?https://uopeople.edu?is the first non-profit, tuition-free, U.S.-accredited online university serving the educational needs of the global community. Dedicated to opening access to higher education for all, UoPeople is designed to help qualified high school graduates overcome the financial, geographic, political, and personal constraints keeping them from collegiate studies.University of the People is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission. The Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency. The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).