Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for a Controller who will oversee the accounting/financial activities of the University, including accounting, cash management, investments, financial reporting, student billing, property and casualty insurance, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, mail and copy center and gift and endowment accounting. This position reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The individual will participate in strategic and organizational planning, including formulation of goals and objectives. This position has direct supervisory responsibilities within the accounting department in the business office and will serve as a coach and mentor for other positions within the office.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, a significant vacation and holiday package and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service among other benefits.
- Directs the accounting activities of the business office to ensure adequate controls and proper records and procedures are followed.
- Oversees the interface between various computer systems for accounting, payroll, and budget forecasts.
- Supervises and evaluates two assistant controllers, mail and copy center operator, accounts payable specialist, student account representative and payroll/staff accountant. Assists with staff development, establishes goals and objectives for direct reports, monitors performance and provides timely feedback to enhance professional development.
- Coordinates the accurate and timely completion and dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal monthly financial reports, annual audited financial statements, and filing of tax returns.
- Oversees the external audit process and informs the Vice President for Finance and Administration about any significant issues.
- Ensures compliance with accounting rules and regulations including GAAP, GAAS and GAS and performs research on technical accounting issues while determining resolutions.
- Manages the investment of operating cash, monitors investments and compliance with investment policies and procedures while evaluating investment decisions and cashflow analysis.
- Oversees the activities of accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all processes including billings, reconciliations, and cash receipts.
- Ensures accurate quarter and year-end payroll including federal and state reports.
- Oversees the accounts payable, procurement functions and check management.
- Updates and implements all necessary business policies and accounting practices and improves the University’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Supports the property, casualty, and student insurance programs by serving as the claim administrator, supervises periodic insurance applications and assists in the determination of appropriate insurance coverage.
- Identifies operational and technological improvements for business operations and other areas requiring technology enhancements. Manages the operation of security camera system, FOB access system, food service software and document storage solutions.
- Serves as a liaison between money managers and the University to answer questions and provide financial accounting guidance.
- Serves as the liaison and secretary for the Investment Subcommittee and Audit Subcommittee of the Board of Directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required, CPA preferred.
- Four years of previous experience performing similar duties.
- Experience with federal and state accounting laws and practices and a strong knowledge of internal accounting controls.
- Experience with accounting/double entry bookkeeping principles and practices and be familiar with educational account practices and procedures and a general understanding of accounting fundamentals.
- Demonstrated experience with endowment and government/private gifts related to not-for-profit accounting requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with students, faculty, staff, administration, and external stakeholders to understand their needs and utilize independent judgment on how to build relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint and have the ability to implement electronic accounting and payroll system solutions and other technology solutions.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and managerial skills, be detail-oriented, adaptable, flexible, and work with multiple interruptions.
- Ability to set and achieve goals related to timelines and project management.
- Ability to reconcile and balance accounts and be able to detect errors and make appropriate adjustments.
- Demonstration of high levels of diplomacy, confidentiality, time management skills, independent thinking, initiative, self-motivation and discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to handle stress of multiple simultaneous demands.
Commitment to Diversity:
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission, and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please visit the NWU website for more information about our institution: nebrwesleyan.edu