(Remote) Project Manager - Strategic Initiatives, Modernization Program
The department of Strategic Initiatives at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for an enterprise Project Manager within the Modernization Program.
About the Opportunity
This position is for an enterprise IT Project Manager within the WVU Modernization Program. This position provides strategic leadership and oversees highly complex enterprise projects, coordinating the efforts of multiple employee teams and consultants. The incumbent will be expected to be an experienced technical project management professional with higher education experience preferred. In this role, you will need to build and maintain effective customer relationships with both technical and non-technical stakeholders, advise senior leaders on strategies and best practices within a project context and use best practices and functional expertise in project management to drive organizational change.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Manageprojects from inception to completion to help drive forward the University Modernization Program goals and objectives using PMP best practices.
- Provide project management leadership to a variety of stakeholders in projects relating to financial, human resources, student experience,nwith an emphasis on leading information technology projects.
- Create project artifacts including project schedules, project charters, project management plans, and executive reports.
- Communicate and give presentations across the organization to ensure all project stakeholders, including senior executives, are effectively updated on project status, issues, schedules, risks, budgets, and resources.
- Engage with highly technical resources to build project plans and communicate deliverables with non-technical staff.
- Serve as liaison with consulting agencies and well as units across the University campuses to direct and manage assigned resources.
- Integrates new and existing projects into strategic and tactical plans tracking team progress against schedules and work plans, negotiating changes in scope or project schedule, and closely monitoring and mitigating potential risks to the project.
- Responsible for the anticipation, identification, and possible resolution of risks from a multiple project perspective throughout the project lifecycle.
- Responsible for detailing, prioritizing, and communicating potential risks to avoid unnecessary departmental expenditures or inefficient assignments of project resources.
- Participates in the risk mitigation, resolution, or contingency decision-making process.
- Assists in the development of "lessons learned" documentation to avoid similar issues on subsequent projects.
- Analyze user department needs, make proactive recommendations to improve existing processes and identify where technology changes may create opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Master's degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience involving:
- Project management experience.
- Higher education experience is preferred.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, negotiation, communication, problem solving skills.
- Ability to comprehend technical documentation including system and architecture diagrams.
- Experience working on projects in the software development life cycle or SAAS implementations.
- Experience working with software developers, network engineers, system architects, business analysts, and other highly technical resources.
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical peers.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills to anticipate and identify issues and concerns, analyze options and establish and implement solutions which balance and meet the needs of all parties within the program.
- Ability to work independently to follow projects through to competition by applying time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously and ensuring that project tasks, budgets, timelines, and resources for the project stays within scope, on time and within project budget.
- Experience creating comprehensive project schedules, timelines, and work plans.
- Experience managing external vendor resources.
- Experience with risk identification, risk mitigation, contingency planning, tracking, escalation, and resolution in consultation with the Senior Leadership.
- Develop and deliver progress reports and presentations to senior management.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service to faculty, staff, internal and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening, collaboration, and problem solving.
- Understanding or familiarity of project management principles and creation of project schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, efficiently, and effectively in a complex business and technical environment.
- Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems or Customer Relationship Management systems (CRM).
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately manage and prioritize multiple work assignments to ensure timely and quality completion.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive materials or information.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with employees at all levels within the university, and external consultants, vendors, etc.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 10, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes