Computer Support Specialist
The Finance Information Technology department seeks a customer service focused Computer Support Specialist to provide technical assistance to faculty and staff in the Vice President for Finance senior management area. The successful candidate will provide excellent customer service while resolving service requests and incidents in a timely manner, communicating effectively, and being a positive contributor to the Finance Information Technology team.
Position may be eligible for partial telework as dictated by business needs of the department.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Leverage the centralized helpdesk solution to provide technical support to users with all aspects of computing operations. Review, prioritize and resolve helpdesk requests using established best practices including detailed ticket documentation.
- Configure, install and update computer hardware, software, and peripheral equipment.
- Maintain hardware inventory for accurate fixed assets accounting.
- Create and maintain accurate system, process and end user documentation.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Communicate with a broad range of users about technical topics at a level appropriate for the intended audience
- Uphold the universal competencies of teamwork, maintaining a safe and secure work environment and diversity commitment.
- Experience providing technical support and guidance in an IT support, help desk or related role;
- Experience with basic system administration tasks in a Windows operating system environment;
- Experience configuring and deploying Windows computers;
- Ability to demonstrate practical troubleshooting and problem analysis techniques;
- Demonstrable skills for and commitment to good customer relationship management;
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education OR an equivalent level of training and experience;
- Experience with advanced system administration tools (Microsoft MDT, PowerShell, etc.);
- Experience in an Active Directory domain environment (Group Policy, managing security groups, etc.)
- Currently hold or willing to obtain relevant entry-level industry certification(s) (CompTIA A+, Microsoft MCP, ITIL Foundation v.3, etc.)
Salary range of $43,000-$53,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Zach LaCroixat email@example.com regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.