Instructor/Director Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) and Allied Health
Title: Instructor/Director Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) and Allied Health
Position Type: Full time
Requisition No: 23012
Supervisor: Dean of Learning and Instruction
Last Updated: October 2022
Job Purpose: Provide instruction, student support, development and implementation of LVN and Allied Health programs
Location: Remote, various locations throughout California, may require travel within the state
Salary Range: Based on Education and Experience - Initial Placement up to Step 6
The Learning and Instruction team at Calbright College seeks a full-time Instructor/Director for Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) and Allied Health programs. The Instructor/Director will be responsible for providing instruction, student support, development and implementation of curriculum and evaluation of courses. Support student success and retention from learning to job placement, by ensuring curricula and instruction meet student needs and industry standards. The Instructor/Director will be responsible for assisting in program development and in the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) program approval process; assisting in the development of educational partnerships with clinical sites and evaluation of clinical sites; supporting the development, planning, coordination, organization, implementation and evaluation of the nursing program activities; implementing special projects and collaborating with the VP, Learning and Instruction and faculty in various aspects of the overall program.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of work.
- In partnership with the VP, Learning and Instruction, support initial clinical site evaluation that includes a thorough assessment on the ability of the agency to provide clinical experience that meets the objectives for application of theory and clinical course objectives. The assessment includes an analysis of risk, hazards and safety of all students, as well as ensuring adequate staffing to handle clinical objectives.
- Develop educational partnerships with clinical sites and advise on clinical contracts.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of the Nursing Advisory Committee meetings.
- Under the advisement of the VP, Learning and Instruction, lead the planning and review process for the recruitment and admission of qualified LVN students.
- Support learning in an asynchronous, flexibly-paced, online competency-based education model using current instructional technology.
- Develop processes to ensure that students are properly oriented to nursing skills lab and clinical facilities prior to initiating clinical rotations.
- Assist in creating a process to ensure that all students complete the necessary documentation and meet the requirements for graduation and licensing exams.
- Keep accurate records of student enrollment, engagement and progress via defined record keeping and documentation protocol in designated systems
- Prepare data and other written materials for all required California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians requirements, reports, proposals, self-studies, surveys, and site visits.
- Review and assess Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), skills and competencies and relevant data to ensure learning and programmatic success.
- Maintain current knowledge of state rules and regulations as related to the practice of Vocational Nursing.
- Stay up to date on changes in the industry and ensure coursework is relevant for career development and certification, as required by BVNPT.
- Participate in professional development; maintain CE hours to retain licensure.
- Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter areas including leveraging external subject matter experts and industry affiliations.
- Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
- Comply with College policies and procedures in the performance of duties.
- Comply with Title 5 and California Education Code regulations in an online academic environment.
- Collaborate and participate across program pathways and college departments on workgroups to support student success.
- Engage in participatory governance by participating in program and college-level committees, ad hoc panels, constituency groups, and/or work groups.
- Perform other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong understanding of Vocational Nursing program curriculum and licensing requirements.
- Ability to learn new things, exercise a growth-mindset, demonstrate team-based problem-solving skills, be curious, adaptable, patient, and exercise empathy.
- Ability to work as a member of a broad interdisciplinary team using data, internal and external research, and student feedback for continuous improvement of competency-based teaching and learning practices.
- Knowledge of competency-based education and understanding of career and technical education programming.
- Ability to contribute to supporting organizational learning and improvement.
- Commitment to working successfully to improve outcomes for all students in an asynchronous, flexibly-paced, online, competency-based environment; with focus on improving outcomes for underserved communities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse faculty, staff and administration across the College to meet the needs of students in a flexibly-paced, online, competency-based environment on a remote team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and embrace learning new communication skills to strengthen student interactions.
- Advanced skills in planning, organizing, and self-management.
- Ability to be a self-reflective practitioner and commitment to improving practice through appropriate professional development.
- Proficiency in the use of a variety of computer software and technology related to student and other educational services.
- Ability to apply identified labor market needs and stay current on evolving needs in the hiring market as well as changing employer and industry standards in assigned subject matter areas.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, staff and faculty.
- Hold a current and active license as a Registered Nurse in California.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an approved school.
- Have a minimum of three years experience as a Licensed Vocational Nurse. One year shall be in teaching or clinical supervision, or a combination thereof, in a state approved registered nursing or vocational or practical nursing, or psychiatric technician school within the last five years; or a minimum of three years experience in nursing administration or nursing education within the last five years.
- Online teaching experience.
- Background in learner experience design.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory.
- Experience in developing assessments characterized by innovation in design.
- Experience with successfully applying for BVNPT program approval.
Working Conditions and Travel
- Calbright College is a statewide online college where all instruction and support are done via various online technologies both in person and remotely. Calbright College has administrative offices in Sacramento available for use. When working remotely, employees should be able and willing to use digital communication tools as used by the college, and have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Calbright College policies, procedures, and Title IX.
- Calbright College celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing Calbright College’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Requires the ability to function in a remote online instructional environment performing work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use hearing and speech to make presentations to groups and carry on conversations over the phone and in-person. Requires speaking skills to communicate with staff and students in one-on-one and small group settings, on the phone, and to distinguish sound prompts from various types of equipment. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires sufficient hand/arm/finger dexterity to retrieve work materials, operate a personal computer keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Who We Are
Calbright College is one of California’s newest community colleges – the first statewide, online campus designed to bridge the gap between employers with unfilled positions and students who don’t have either the time or money to attend a traditional school. Our mission is to increase economic mobility and close equity gaps for working adults who lack easy access to traditional forms of higher education by offering online, flexible, affordable skills-based programs that provide tangible economic value for both working adults and hiring managers.