Director, Development - Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health
Posting Number: req12125
Department: Public Health Administration
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: Drachman Hall, 1295 N Martin, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
Position HighlightsThe Director of Development for the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health (College) will design and implement fundraising strategies that will generate revenue and drive the growth of the College's mission. The successful candidate will assist the Dean and other members of the College in planning and implementing all development activities including working directly with major gift prospects of the College to secure gifts of $50,000 or more to further the goals and objectives of the College of Public Health. This position is jointly managed by the College of Public Health and the University Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement team (PAE) which is managed by contract by the University of Arizona Foundation. This position is a member of the Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement team (PAE) and subject to joint management by the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health and the University of Arizona Foundation as specified in the Development Services and Asset Management Agreement dated August 2016.
The College was founded in January 2000 and has enjoyed remarkable growth in the number of students, faculty and staff, as well as in the expansion of academic programs, community service and research. It is Arizona's first and only accredited college of public health. The College offers tremendous opportunities to its students for education, research and community involvement thanks to a locale rich in history, research opportunities, and university academic resources. The College's interdisciplinary activities are enhanced by being part of the UArizona Health Sciences Center with campuses in Tucson and Phoenix. It consistently ranks among the top five in American Indian and Hispanic graduates and students enrolled among 45 accredited schools of public health, according to recent data from the Association of Schools of Public Health.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.=
Duties & Responsibilities
- Advise the Dean of the College and President of the University of Arizona Foundation or designee on all matters related to development activities within the College.
- Develop and sustain strong relationships with the College/unit leadership, faculty, board members, alumni, volunteers, donors, and financial professionals.
- Assist the Dean in expanding, cultivating, and supporting an advisory board.
- Drive planning for the College's portion of the upcoming public phase of a university-wide campaign and execute on those plans to ensure the College's campaign goals are met.
- Partner with College and PAE alumni and constituent engagement colleagues to help build donor pipeline for the College.
- Plan, direct, and manage fund raising activities.
- Participate with the Dean and the College's departments in the strategic planning of new projects and initiatives.
- Utilizes the common systems, policies and procedures adhered to by PAE team members.
- Partners with, and effectively utilizes, the development professionals and resources of the PAE, including campus-based development teams, the offices of Regional Development; Gift Planning; Annual Giving (telephone, direct-mail, and e-solicitation services); Leadership and Annual Giving; Alumni and Constituent Engagement; Marketing and Communications; Prospect Development; Financial Services; Information Services; and Foundation Relations including other PAE Central services.
- Coordinate an annual giving program with a national outreach to support college goals.
Work with College and PAE Marketing and Communications to develop and oversee the creation of materials in support of all College fundraising efforts.
- Develop an annual fundraising plan with specific goals. Develop and achieve short and long-term strategic plans.
After an initial 3-month onboarding period, execute an agreed upon metric of at least 100 current or prospect donor visits and the successful closure of 15+ major/principal gift proposals per year, with an expectation of $1M+ raised after the initial onboarding period (with incremental increases after the first year).
- Responsible for building and maintaining a portfolio of 50-70 assigned-prospects with an emphasis on 40-50 in cultivation/solicitation annually while discovering new hi-capacity prospects.
- Develop personalized strategies for all assigned donors and prospects which builds, maintains and enhances relationships while furthering donors' philanthropic objectives.
- Creatively leverages outreach activities (e.g. tours, lectures, exhibits, etc.) to develop new major gift prospects.
Plan, coordinate, and schedule weekly personal visits with prospects and donors utilizing PAE software, introductory letters, emails and phone calls to set appointments.
- Maintain current and accurate records of donor prospects in the PAE computer records system. On a weekly basis, enter contact reports of all visits, significant telephone conversations, letters and correspondence, gift solicitations, and other communications with donors. Maintain information about current and future gift proposals (asks).
- Ensure all contributions are properly documented and handled in accordance with the University of Arizona Gift Policy.
- Design and manage solicitation and stewardship plans in Lynx to support fundraising initiatives.
- Responsible for management, performance management and professional development of administrative assistant.
- Help to support and promote a culture of philanthropy across the University and work effectively as part of the greater PAE.
- Represent the College, University and PAE at public events, including delivering remarks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and follow all Federal, UA and PAE policies and procedures, including UA and PAE scholarship and financial aid policies, as well as the University of Arizona Gift Policy.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and fund-raising principles and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong ability to create personal relationships, and proven success in executing moves management actions and closing six-figure philanthropic gifts.
- Ability to effectively communicate the University of Arizona mission, strategic plan, and case for philanthropic support.
Experience developing and executing plans for large fundraising initiatives. Ability to build and maintain productive relationships with donors, PAE colleagues, and UA faculty, administration and staff members.
- Ability to make good decisions and to exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to maintain donor confidentiality.
- Ability to make policy decisions when necessary.
- Ability to motivate and manage individuals for maximum performance.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to create personal relationships.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent initiative and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Knowledge of computer programs such as MS Office products and donor databases.
- Ability to understand and work with budgetary procedures and policies.
- Ability to work with academic and administration staff members.
- Knowledge of planned giving techniques and the programs available to implement such gifts.
- Physical ability to operate basic office machinery (fax machine, computer, telephone, etc.).
- Minimum of 7 years of related work experience, including 3 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Pertinent work in the field of education.
- Fund raising experience in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated success in planning, organizing, and managing fund raising campaigns.
- Experience building advisory boards and committee structures.
- Experience in administration and management of programs.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40+
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Advancement
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Iman Hakim | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional Document
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please provide a writing sample or donor proposal.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.