|Who We Are:||System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with a few smaller offices located on the campuses. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses, but System Administration is not considered a campus. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty. Learn more about CU System Administration.|
|Position Summary:||The Senior Vice President for External Strategy and Operations provides strategic direction and oversight for all external-related units for the Office of the President and works to ensure outstanding customer service to external constituencies of the university. This position directly supports the President in the performance of university duties and responsibilities, coordinates with and maintains effective working relationships with Regents, Chancellors, Vice Presidents, and other members of the President's executive team, along with external constituencies and university partners. This position performs other duties as delegated by the President. |
This position oversees/manages the heads of the following departments:
This security-sensitive position requires a criminal and financial background check for initial appointments, or at any time by the President to be in the best interest of the University.
- Communications/University Relations
- Engagement and Outreach
- State Government Relations
- Federal Government Relations
- Co-manages Associate VP for Strategic Events with SVP for Internal Operations & Chief of Staff
This position is an officer of the administration, reports to the President of the University, is a member of the President's executive team, and is exempt from the Colorado classification system.
|Where You Will Work:||This position is located in Denver, Colorado.|
|Diversity and Equity:||The University of Colorado System Administration Office is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse workforce. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities,persons within the LGBTQ+ communityand all veterans.|
|Duties & Responsibilities:||Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:|
- Provides strategic direction, oversight, and support of external-related units within the Office of the President;
- Works closely with direct reports and campuses to coordinate external messaging, including media responses, branding and marketing;
- Provides leadership and coordination for external issues;
- Coordinates with the SVP for Internal Operations & Chief of Staff as needed;
- Maintains effective working relationships with each Regent;
- Ensures Chancellors and executive team members are informed of critical actions/activities;
- Leads strategic communications and strategic policy in collaboration with department heads, including supporting consultants;
- Oversees external communications for the Board of Regents in consultation with the President and Vice President of Communications;
- Ensures unit head of Advancement aligns the President's system-wide strategic planning efforts and advancement goals and priorities;
- Represents Office of the President at key system and campus meetings in consultation with department heads;
- Works with University constituencies, including faculty and staff governance on issues pertaining to University's external relations, including communications, government relations, outreach and engagement and advancement;
- Works with President and Senior Vice President for Internal Operations and Chief of Staff to set agendas for executive level meetings involving the President, including executive team and Team meetings;
- Assists with development and implementation of the President's strategic plans and initiatives;
- Key strategic adviser to the President;
- Working with unit heads, ensures the President is appropriately represented at events and before external constituencies;
- Assists in advancing the President's vision and direction.
|What We Offer:||Salary: The anticipated hiring range has been established at $300,000 - $400,000. |
The salary of the finalistselected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above hiring range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Additional taxable fringe benefits may be available.
More information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
|Qualifications:||Minimum Qualifications: |
Please ensure your resume includes any and all relevant experience to be accurately assessed against these qualifications. You must meet all minimum requirements listed at the time of application to be considered for this role.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher education (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis);
- Fifteen (15) years' experience at an executive level;
- Professional leadership experience achieving institutional strategic goals within a higher education or governmental setting;
- Professional experience working with federal and state of Colorado governments and agencies;
- Professional experience managing broad stakeholder engagement;
- Professional experience making effective public presentations;
- Professional experience successfully performing in a demanding environment; and,
- Professional experience negotiating and functioning effectively in a variety of team settings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- More than 15 years experience as detailed above;
- Experience in an externally-focused leadership or similar role in large, complex organization with direct reporting to Chief Executive Officer.
- Experience interacting with and serving diverse constituencies, including internal and external stakeholders important to the University of Colorado's community.
- Experience with multi-media communications.
- Experience with fundraising.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to effectively manage various personalities and collaborate with others to take particular courses of action
- Presentation skills, including the ability to collect, evaluate, display, and deliver information to a variety of audiences in a way that is easily understandable
- Negotiation skills, including the ability to listen, build rapport, solve problems, make decisions, be assertive, and deal with difficult situations
- Employee management, supervision, and team building skills, including the ability to train and coach others, communicate effectively, manage conflict, reward good behavior, and establish and maintain accountability
- Collaboration skills, including the ability to work with others from different areas and backgrounds to reach a common goal
- Computer skills, including the ability to utilize Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and learn and experiment with new software and systems
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate interaction, communication, and teamwork between others
- Oral, written, and listening communication skills, including the ability to accurately interpret what others are saying and convey messages, information, concepts, and details accurately and clearly
- Organizational skills, including the ability to set and meet goals and deadlines, manage appointments, create schedules, coordinate, lead, and facilitate meetings, and make decisions
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple concurrent and competing tasks and responsibilities, and adapt to changing priorities while maintaining personal effectiveness
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and ages
- Ability to handle and maintain sensitive and confidential material
- Ability to successfully negotiate with internal and external constituencies and with diplomacy
- Ability to navigate a complex political environment
|COVID-19:||The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion of the attestation form within the first 30 days after hire date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at https://www.cu.edu/vaccine-requirement|
|How to Apply:||For full consideration, please attach the following as separate documents to your application:|
Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next to each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
- A cover letter identifying the job specific minimum qualifications you possess
- A resume including any and all relevant experience to be accurately assessed against the qualifications listed in the posting.
|When to Apply:||For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 23, 2022. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*|
|Background Check Statement:||The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.|
|ADA Statement:||We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free search process. We provide accommodations for applicants requesting accommodation through the search process such as alternative formats of this posting. Individuals with disabilities in need of accommodations throughout the search process should contact the ADA Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.|