Lab Operations Associate
The FoRTE Research Group is seeking a motivated, self-starting individual for a position assisting in the operations of the research group. The position will work directly with the group leader to assist with the entire group's operations including leader support, student support; computing equipment tracking and management; office supply, computer equipment, and experimental prototyping supply purchasing; technical document preparation and submission; onboarding and training; safety protocols, and lab inspections. The successful candidate will be able to balance multiple priorities, multiple tasks of various types, and feel comfortable working independently to support the needs of the graduate-level engineering researchers. In this position, you'll be part of a world-class research group that embodies an energizing, engaging, and supportive culture that emphasizes excellence and self-guided, continuous learning.
- Experience in an academic research lab
- Experience in an industrial lab
- Customer service experience
- Administrative assistant experience
- Prior financial experience
- Prior experience with management of operations in a lab setting
- Prior experience supporting common IT/computing equipment
- Track record of recommending and implementing solutions to improve efficiency
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to handle and prioritize a variety of tasks
- Ability to work independently in a research environment
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science or Advanced degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Multiple years of experience in lab operations or as a lab manager
- Experience in hardware debugging, repair, and prototyping
- Experience with Windows/Apple/Linux system administration
- Familiarity with HokieMart and VT procurement
- Familiarity with Safety Management Systems and Techniques
- Experience with Standard Operating Procedures
- Experience with onboarding and training
$25 per hour
Review of applications will begin 10/17/22, and continue until the position is filled.
This is a restricted position with an end date of 12/31/23
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cole Tankersleyat firstname.lastname@example.org regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.