MSU Bookstore Store Manager
Incorporated in 1931, Montana State University Bookstore, Inc. (MSU Bookstore), is a student-faculty owned cooperative that serves Montana State University and the surrounding Gallatin Valley. MSU Bookstore, Inc. is a Montana 501(C)(3) not-for-profit organization, dedicated to impacting higher education through lowering the cost of course materials for students.
MSU Bookstore seeks to provide the lowest possible pricing on textbooks for our students. This is done through rebating the excess profits of previous years' sales back to our student owners through aggressive textbook discounting. This ongoing mission has allowed us to be a national leader in offering competitive course material prices to our students.
Each employee of MSU Bookstore & its subsidiaries is expected to promote an atmosphere of courtesy and respect within the team by demonstrating positive leadership skills that build up the culture of the organization. Some of these skills include such things as collaborative problem-solving, calm, and inclusive speech, and practicing a teamwork mindset over a harsh or authoritative delegation style. It is also a baseline expectation that all employees celebrate our customers by engaging, advocating for, and contributing to the feeling of acceptance and inclusiveness for all subsidiary customers and employees.
Under the direction of the CEO, the MSU Bookstore Manager is responsible for the daily, smooth operation of the MSU Bookstore. This position oversees all strategic aspects of each department within MSU Bookstore and Blank Canvas Creative. In addition, the MSU Bookstore Manager serves as the primary contact for customer relations and case management on the Bozeman campus, and as the campus liaison to the MSU Bookstore Board of Directors.
- Under the direction of the CEO, the MSU Bookstore Manager responsible for all aspects of the daily, smooth operation of the MSU Bookstore including managing MSU Bookstore budget, growth, staff supervision and communication.
- Works closely with Executive team to execute organizational objectives and meet mission-based goals. Reports out needs and provides solution-based feedback.
- Creates annual budget for review by CEO.
- Partners with HR Specialist to identity recruitment and training needs within the MSU Bookstore subsidiary. Also works closely with the Chief Wellness Officer to meet core objectives.
- Regularly meets with the IT team to outline proper equipment rotation needs, software updates, and other operational needs related to technology.
- Takes an active part on the sales floor to meet operational needs related to all departments within the MSU Bookstore & Blank Canvas Creative including operating cash register, working stadium shifts, transporting merchandise to the sale floor and shelving textbooks.
- Ensures compliance with Higher Education Act (HEA) regulations and timely returns of textbooks to vendors
- Works closely with the accounting department to process all payments and resolve vendor issues.
- In partnership with the Montana State University Police Department, responds to security alarms and serves as the main contact for the Fire Marshall and University's Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT).
- Enforces all partnership agreements made on behalf of the MSU Bookstore on the MSU campus i.e. Bobcat Sports Properties and MSU Facilities.
- Acts as the main contact for all customer complaints, vendor partners, and community partnership opportunities.
- Practices good mentorship and coaching behaviors with all employees.
- In collaboration with the HR Specialist, stays up to date on all federal labor laws and best practices related to Montana State employment standards. Also ensure these standards are being practiced by all MSU Bookstore employees.
- Spearheads annual physical inventory, audits, and other benchmarks for accountability within retail business management.
- Regularly engages with customers and other stakeholders to magnify the MSU Bookstore non-profit mission and support the MSU Bookstore's commitment to the community.
- Leads through example by demonstrating a willingness to dive-in and meet basic store needs including performing tasks such as vacuuming, dusting fixtures, and helping students find textbooks.
- May be required to travel to other subsidiary locations to support organizational needs
- Evening and weekend shifts required during key periods
- Required to maintain knowledge of current and emerging textbook purchasing trends and resources to meet the MSU Bookstore's non-profit mission.
- Required to attend relevant training. Some overnight travel required.
- Required to attend MSU Bookstore, Inc. Board meeting a provide updates on the organizational successes and health of the MSU Bookstore.
- Takes the lead in opening & closing shifts and provides additional coverage during periods of staff-shortages.
- Demonstrates commitment to the MSU Bookstore team and mission, and the ability to support the mission of MSU Bookstore and lead others in support of that mission
- Ability to work independently in a high-stress, fast-paced environment, meeting required deadlines
- Demonstrated creativity and ability to rapidly adapt/anticipate changing market conditions
- Stays current on issues and opportunities facing institutions of higher education and the ability to communicate how MSU Bookstore can help faculty address those areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Business Management or relevant experience.
- 2 or more years' progressive experience in a higher education retail department with full time and student staff, preferably in a large-store environment, or a larger mainstream retail operation.
- Ability to understand and create high-level sell-through, sales forecast, adoption timeline, and profitability reporting, and an understanding of rental accounting models
- Demonstrated experience in leadership development and employee retention methods.
- Ability to build partnerships both in-store and on-campus
- A commitment to implementing industry best-practices at MSU Bookstore
- Reputation for practicing excellent customer service, strong communication and effective conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of retail financial models, GAAP, profit and loss, and budgeting processes
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task, and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ecommerce processes, ordering, receiving, and POS systems, etc.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
- Travel for 1-3 weeks per year for conferences and training
- Willingness to put team above self in all situations
- Familiarity with NetSuite and database platforms
- Knowledge/experience using VERBA tools
- Knowledge/experience using Redshelf
- Understanding of non-traditional course materials models including e-books, rental (in-house or with multi-partner), inclusive access/LMS integration, OER, and securing copyright for digitizing, with a willingness to embrace and develop alternative models as the opportunity arises
- Knowledge of HEA as it applies to the course materials requirements on campus
- Experience working in a 501(c3) non-profit corporation or Co-op
Commensurate with Experience
Send materials to email@example.com