Corporate Engagement Program Manager
Posting Number: req12060
Department: Research Development Services
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Corporate Engagement Program Manager (Business Development Analyst II), in the Research Development Services unit within Research, Innovation & Impact, will develop and implement programs with internal stakeholders and external allies to capture external funding and related support for research and research-adjacent activities.
Examples of "related support" and "research-adjacent" activities with industry include equipment discounts and donations, cost-share and collaboration on federal proposals and projects, student internships, and faculty fellowships.
The primary purpose of the position is to secure research funding from for-profit corporations.
The UArizona's Research, Innovation and Impact (RII) provides pre-award, post-award, compliance, and contracting services across UArizona. Research Service units under RII include Research Development Services, Sponsored Projects Services, and the Contract & Research Support Program. In addition to these services, RII provides programs that promote the safe, legal, and ethical conduct of research including: Office for Responsible Outside Interests, Export Controls Program, Human Subjects Protection Program, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, HIPAA Privacy Program, Research Laboratory & Safety Services, Research Integrity Program, and Responsible Conduct of Research Program. College and department business units comply with RII guidance and policies for sponsored research financial reporting and management.
Recent examples of large, multi-institute research and education projects include the Phoenix Mars Mission (NASA), the OSIRIS-REx Mission (NASA), the NSF CyVerse, USDA Sustainable Bioeconomy for Arid Regions (SBAR), and the NSF ERC for Center for Quantum Networks (as well as two graduate centers, Center for Integrated Access Networks and Center for Environmentally Benign Semiconductor Manufacturing).
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & responsibilities:
Corporate Program Development and Implementation:
- Support development and implementation of the Research Development (RD).
- Corporate research program in collaboration with internal stakeholders and external allies.
- Serve as point of contact for various stages of program development and implementation to ensure positive relationships with university faculty & staff and external partners.
- Monitor and maintain metrics of corporate research activities.
- Identify opportunities, and help develop materials, to communicate and promote research of interest to corporate (and potential corporate) partners, as well as assist in the development of the communication of other entry points for companies to engage with the university ecosystem in research-adjacent activities.
- Manage corporate projects through project life cycles, which includes (i) identification of company needs; (ii) engagement of faculty with similar interests and capabilities; (iii) preparation and transmission of introductory materials, including non-disclosure agreements, requests for proposals, and other communication with university and company personnel to encourage engagement and help all stakeholders understand potential and desired outcomes of projects; (iv) arrangement of introductory meetings (virtually and on campus); and (v) the tracking of action items and deliverables related to RD end goals that include sponsored research funding and preparation of federally-sponsored research proposals in collaboration with corporate partners.
- Build and foster relationships with units, organizations, and individuals to implement RD corporate program vision, both on and off campus.
- Identify existing and potential collaborations for new opportunities to aid in the further development of the RD corporate program.
- Participate in activities to share information and offerings with on and off campus partners in service to the mission of the university - including HSI status and Land Grant role.
- Engage in the development of clear and consistent messaging for cohesion among the variety of RII programming, remaining in alignment with other opportunities on campus.
- Outreach may include travel off campus to engage with companies, but outreach is envisioned to occur primarily by phone, email, Zoom, and equivalent means of electronic communication.
- Company visits and conferences that require overnight stays are envisioned to occur less than ten days per year.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills, & abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, in-person and by Zoom, with individuals and in group settings.
- Skill in encouraging collaborators to complete tasks and provide deliverables that meet mutually-agreed upon timelines.
- Empathy to elicit and understand the wants and needs of collaborators, and the skill to find areas of research and research-adjacent topics of common interest to guide the development of outcomes that benefit both the university and corporate collaborators.
- Genuine curiosity and the desire to create new knowledge, with an appreciation for the challenges of academic research and translation of research outcomes to the commercial world.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years of demonstrated industry engagement experience required
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), or similar project management experience preferred.
- One year or more of proposal development experience preferred.
- One year or more of work in academia preferred.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Advancement
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $68,000 - $80,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.