Accounting Associate I
The Accounting Associate I processes accounting transactions in accordance with state and university policy and procedures. Examples of these transactions include vendor invoices, honorariums, independent contractor payments, non-travel employee/student reimbursements, university related travel, indexing and keying journal entries.
Core responsibilities of this position are as follows...
- Reviews accounting transactions and determines if supporting documentation is adequate. If not, contacts department to obtain additional documentation to justify the use of public funds.
- Communicates with university departments and vendors to resolve discrepancies.
- Keys data into university accounting system.
- Processes workload efficiently to comply with state prompt pay guidelines.
- Familiarity with accounting practices.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Ability to perform basic business math calculations and accurately process invoices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service in a courteous manner and work effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of actions processed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to gather and analyze information and resolve difficulties quickly.
- Previous office experience.
- Data entry experience.
Commensurate with experience
10/14/2022 with additional review periods afterwards
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Zach LaCroix at email@example.com regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.