Supervisor of Labor-Roads and Grounds
West Virigina University Division of Roads and Grounds is currently accepting applications for a Supervisor of Labor. Under the direction of the Operations Manager, plans, coordinates and supervises the work assignments of the Campus Service Worker Laborers as outlined by the University policies and procedure guidelines.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
Work Hours: 7a - 3p
Pay Grade: 15 WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes related experience and education into consideration when determining appropriate salary
What you'll do:
- Supervises the daily work activities of CSW Leads and CSW positions in relocation of offices, classrooms, and set-ups for special events. May be called upon to perform duties associated with a CSW-Lead and CSW positions.
- Communicates work schedules and goals to employees and customers, ensuring efficiency and accuracy in completing tasks. Schedules and adjusts daily assignments to meet changes in needs and priorities and responds to special requests and emergencies by reassigning personnel as needed. Assigns overtime to personnel as needed to meet customer expectations.
- Monitors work requests through Unifier, maintains accurate records for employee time assigned to them and closes them out in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge and expertise to coordinate setting up for routine and special events such as Commencement, concerts, President's Office events, academic requests, registration, etc. Includes set-up of tents, staging, special platforms, bleachers, tables, chairs, etc.
- Inspects completed work assignments of the Campus Service Worker Lead and Campus Service Worker to ensure quality control. Ensures that proper safety procedures are used while performing job duties.
- Analyzes job assignments, work areas, equipment and processes to ensure safe working conditions are maintained. Makes recommendations for improvements to efficiency and effectiveness of the team to provide the highest level of service.
- Provides continual inspection of assigned area to ensure assignments are completed on schedule. Shall conduct frequent inspections of all work orders to ensure all work is completed in a proper and orderly manner in compliance with WVU standards.
- Operates motor vehicles (i.e. car, box van, pick-up truck, fork lift, front loader, small dump truck) to transport people, to deliver/receive surplus for inventory control. To deliver, receive, or remove surplus materials for shops and equipment throughout the campus and community and statewide. Unloads and stores supplies, rotating stock and equipment at various job sites. Establishes and maintains inventory of department throughout institutional buildings, warehouse, or stockroom on equipment, e.g., tables, chairs, tents, staging, platforms, etc.
- Responsible for interviewing candidates, making hiring decisions, providing counseling and disciplinary actions, and performing employee evaluations to assigned personnel.
- May be called up to assist with maintenance and care of the campus grounds by: mowing, seeding, and aerating lawns and turf, trimming and edging around trees, flower beds, buildings, and walkways, watering lawns, shrubs, and ornamental gardens during dry periods, removing and disposing of debris throughout grounds areas on campus.
- Coordinates efforts of team and assists with removal of snow/ice from sidewalks, steps, roads, and parking lots by means of hand tools, power brooms, tractors, and trucks. Spreading deicers and abrasives on all public passageways as needed. Must be able to work off-peak hours, weekends and holidays during winter weather conditions to ensure the safety of the campus community.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-4 years of directly related work experience in labor-type assignments within a commercial or industrial setting.
- 3-4 years of directly related Lead or Supervisor experience in time planning, estimating, furniture moving, event set-ups, and managing staff
- 1-2 years operating small dump truck, box van, forklifts, etc.
- Valid Driver's License required
- Work requires simple hand/eye operations and some accuracy and regularity of motions, such as set up and operation of basic instruments or equipment, and/or the occasional use of standard hand or power tools with minimal speed requirements.
- Long periods of standing, walking, climbing, stooping and bending
- Working from ladders and in confined spaces
- Lifting of items weighing up to 100 pounds
- Moving furniture and unloading supplies
- Pushing/shoving dumpsters to sanitation vehicle weighing 500 - 1,000 pounds
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.