Financial Aid Specialist
At Cleveland State our mission is to build strong minds, careers and communities through exceptional teaching and learning, workforce development and service. We wish to hire individuals with similar values who can help us accomplish those goals.
CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
is accepting applications for the following position:
Financial Aid Specialist (Hybrid/Primarily Remote)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of positions available: 2
The Financial Aid Specialist position is responsible to the Assistant Director of Financial Aid for evaluating student eligibility requirements for financial aid; processing financial aid awards; monitoring satisfactory academic progress; disseminating federal, state, and institutional financial aid information to colleagues, students, and parents; and performing other related duties as assigned.
This position is primarily remote but has certain on-campus requirements. The main Financial Aid Office is located on the campus of Cleveland State Community College in Cleveland, Tennessee. Some travel may be required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide expertise regarding policies and procedures for assigned financial aid programs.
- Advise Success Coaches, Enrollment staff, and students that have program-specific inquiries that exceed basic program information.
- Verify program-specific student eligibility requirements for assigned programs.
- Coordinate and administer assigned programs to include awarding funds, communicating information to recipients, and monitoring continued student eligibility.
- Update Financial Aid, Enrollment staff, and Success Center staff on any program policy changes or new regulations as they occur.
- Monitor and reconcile assigned financial aid programs on a regular basis.
- Exercise independent judgment and problem-solving skills to assist Enrollment staff, Success Coaches, and students with completing the financial aid process.
- Develop and maintain program-related dynamic forms.
- Collect and organize program-related data for informational and reporting purposes.
- Perform necessary technical job functions within Banner and external Federal and State databases.
- Verify student files, check for consistency and accuracy of documentation submitted, and communicate with Enrollment staff, Success Coaches, and students when conflicting information is discovered or additional information is needed.
- Represent the department at events such as high school workshops, orientations, financial aid workshops, classroom presentations, etc., including events at off-site locations.
- Effectively manage assigned duties using a variety of resources to promote efficiency within the financial aid office.
- Communicate effectively and consistently with co-workers within the department and across campus.
- Assist with the end-of-term Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) review process.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and institutional regulations and standards to ensure compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree* with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience (financial aid, higher education, or detail-oriented work experience preferred) OR
- Bachelor's degree* with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience (financial aid, higher education, or detail-oriented work experience preferred)
- *degree must be from a regionally accredited institution
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- * Computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to coordinate with other offices/departments and agencies.
- Ability to meet deadlines, pay close attention to detail and work independently.
- Ability to communicate with and work well with diverse groups of people.
- Knowledge of the Family Federal Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) with regard to student privacy and protection regulations.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interpret federal and state regulations and guidelines.
- Insurance: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability (long and short term), FSA/HSA
- Wellness Incentive Program (if enrolled in health)
- Educational Assistance: Fee Waiver, Spouse/Dependent Discounts, Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Longevity Pay
- Retirement Options: State of TN Pension (TCRS), 401a, 401k with $50 match, 403b, and 457
- 13 Paid Holidays/Year
- Sick and Annual Leave
- Sick Leave Bank
- State Employee Discount Program with over 900 merchants
The College: Cleveland State Community College is a fully-accredited public comprehensive community college committed to quality education and open access. The college operates within the governance of the Tennessee Board of Regents and approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. CSCC celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017. Its mission focuses upon responsive delivery of the highest quality education and training at the lowest possible cost in support of workforce development, liberal arts transfer and cultural enrichment for the people of Bradley, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe and Polk Counties.
The college enrolls more than 3,000 credit students and 1,500 non-credit students in a typical fall semester. The credit student population is split about evenly in the choice of transfer or career-technical programs. The average age of all students is 28 years. All persons are welcome at Cleveland State, and the student population is nonracially identifiable.
There are over 200 employees at the college, including more than 75 full-time faculty members. Ninety-one percent of the faculty hold master's or doctor's degrees.
Situated in the scenic corridor of hills and valleys of southeast Tennessee, Cleveland State presents an attractive atmosphere in which to enjoy varied facets of an educational experience. The community offers an abundance of service facilities and recreational opportunities. The college is located between Exits 25 and 27 on Interstate 75, thirty miles northeast of Chattanooga.
The 105-acre campus has 11 major buildings housing modern classrooms, laboratories and student activity centers. Additional features include an excellent library, a multimedia production studio, dynamic classrooms, computer laboratories, a 400-seat theatre, a 3,000-seat gymnasium, athletic fields, a small business development center, a workforce readiness center, and a full-service student center with cafeteria, bookstore and student lounge areas. In addition, the college recently opened the new state-of-the-art Health and Science Center, the first new academic building for the college in over 46 years. The college also maintains off-site locations to serve students in the northern service area. The college offers a wide selection of credit and non-credit courses at the new McMinn Higher Education Center in Athens and at the Monroe County Center in Vonore. In addition, many college support services are available at these sites, as well. For more information on Cleveland State Community College, visit the website at www.clevelandstatecc.edu.
The required online application can be found at: https://www.tbr.edu/hr/institution-jobs
Applications can be assured full consideration if submitted by October 9, 2022.
Human Resources Office
Cleveland State Community College
Telephone: 423-478-6203; FAX: 423-478-6257
Cleveland State Community College does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Cleveland State Community College. Cleveland State Community College's policy on nondiscrimination can be found at: http://www2.clevelandstatecc.edu/about/policy-manual/policy-7-01-00-00