Director, Student Aid
University of Montevallo
The purpose of this position is to directly supervise and oversee the Student Aid Office and the administration of all student financial aid programs and provide instruction and guidance to all areas of campus, specifically Enrollment Management, through various collaborations and engagements. Federal, state and institutional regulations and policies will govern the administration of the various programs and collaborations. This position promotes access to higher education as part of the University’s mission and Enrollment Management efforts and exercises discretion and professional judgment in the matters of financial aid operations.
Essential Job Duties
2. Maintains thorough and current knowledge of federal, state and institutional Student Aid regulations and policies by attending various webinars, workshops and/or conferences to stay abreast of changes in governmental regulations.
3. Provides comprehensive oversight and administration of the Student Aid Office and advises University staff on matters related to policy, programs and administration of financial aid.
4. Manages departmental budget and supervises unit planning in cooperation with the Assistant Directors.
5. Responsible for policy determination and consults with the Assistant Directors in overseeing the maintenance of the Student Aid Office’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
6. Supervises, trains, and evaluates performance of the Assistant Directors.
7. Oversees the managerial duties of the Assistant Directors providing supervision and guidance to the Student Aid Office.
8. Coordinates with Institutional Research and Technology Services to prepare and file various reports, documents and surveys, including recertification of the Program Participation Agreement (PPA), Fiscal Operations Report and Application to Participate (FISAP), Consumer Information, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data Systems (IPEDS), Common Data Set, U.S. News and Peterson surveys, etc.
9. Supports Enrollment Management endeavors coordinated with the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs, and various other offices. Provides financial aid data as needed regarding recruitment and retention endeavors.
10. Oversees the establishment of the annual Cost of Attendance (student budget) for awarding student aid.
11. Supervises in-house audits and the A-133 audit process within the Student Aid Office in cooperation with the designated auditors and related staff.
12. Provides support to and collaborates with various areas of campus, including but not limited to, Athletics, Falcon Success Center and TRIO programs.
13. Ensures and oversees that the integrity of the financial aid management software be maintained by the Assistant Directors and appropriate staff.
14. Ensures all scholarship related software systems are overseen and maintained.
15. Oversees the resolution of data conflicts with National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and CPS.
16. Counsels students and parents regarding all aspects of student financial aid.
17. Administers and completes re-evaluations, dependency overrides and SAP appeals requested by students.
18. Monitors and manages Satisfactory Academic Progress through the Banner process and works closely with the students, designated Assistant Director and deans regarding academic plans and appeals.
19. Oversees the provision of various financial aid options for students interested in study away and Distance Education programs and counsels them accordingly.
20. Coordinates and oversees the administration of consortium/contractual agreements with other institutions when needed.
21. Acts as the permanent Scholarship Appeals and Athletic Appeals Committee Chair.
22. Acts as permanent Scholarship Committee / Work Group chair and participates in other committees as assigned.
23. Represents the University in the community and State on matters related to financial aid awareness and administration.
24. Maintains memberships with various professional organizations, establishes and maintains professional working relationships between offices, serves on University committees, directly oversees the Assistant Directors in providing staff with training opportunities and the participation and promotion of professional development activities.
25. All other duties as specified by the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs/Dean of Students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of university operations, policies and procedures;
- Extensive knowledge of current federal, state and institutional regulations governing the administration of student aid;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Knowledge of Banner software;
- Knowledge of Argos and other higher education software;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to supervise and evaluate the work of direct reports;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in sensitive matters;
- Ability to perform professional judgment for allowable, special financial aid circumstances.