Communications Specialist, Internal Medicine (Communications Consultant II) (Phoenix)
Posting Number: req11890
Department: COM Phx Internal Medicine
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: 475 N. 5th St., Phoenix, AZ 85004 USA
Can you translate complex health
care information into stories that capture attention? Do you have a passion for
innovation, medicine and health care? The Department of Internal Medicine (IM)
in the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix is seeking a
Communications Specialist to join our team. The IM team provides clinical care
across 14 divisions (specialties) at Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix.
Communications Specialist will help advance the education mission across the college
and Banner - University Phoenix by creating content for events, web content, stories
and social media. The department interacts with faculty, staff, administrators,
residents, fellows, students and providers across the college, University of
Arizona, Banner Health and other institutions. This
role will also highlight the research and clinical trials being done by
investigators, translating complex scientific topics into meaningful insights
that improve health care.
the senior director of Marketing and Communications at the college and the
department chair, this new role will collaborate across the IM department and
be embedded in the college's Marcom team. The
position supports the planning, execution and measurement of internal and
external communications to drive awareness and understanding with exceptional
storytelling through innovative approaches.
This creative, detail-oriented professional will have exceptional
written and communication skills, build strong relationships, and thrive in a
fast-paced environment. This is an in-person role in Phoenix.
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix anchors the 28-acre Phoenix
Bioscience Core in the heart of the Valley of the Sun. The College inspires and
trains individuals to become exemplary physicians, scientists and leaders who
are life-long learners and inquisitive scholars. The Phoenix Biomedical Campus
embodies the University's priorities of engagement, partnership, innovation,
and synergy in its world-class academic and research initiatives, with clinical
facilities throughout Greater Phoenix.
benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and
disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU
tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state
retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our
innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the
University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here: http://www.whyua.arizona.edu/.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The primary purpose of this position will be to
develop digital and print communications that amplify the outstanding work
across IM, design digital and print collateral materials such as special event
invitations and save the dates, flyers, incorporating graphic images and design
elements. This position will collect content for inclusion in newsletters and
other collateral materials, and serve as the lead on creating content for
newsletters and social media sites.
- Develops digital and print collateral materials
for events, news stories, web content and digital publications,
announcements and social media, targeting diverse audiences.
- Create and proofread content to ensure compliance with University
of Arizona and Banner Health brand standards.
- Monitor trends and investigate opportunities to apply innovative
approaches to expand reach and elevate brand awareness.
- Demonstrate ability to build relationships, manage multiple
projects, shift priorities quickly, take initiative and find creative
- Establish relationships with faculty, staff and students across IM
and with colleagues at the University of Arizona and Banner Health.
- Prepare periodic reports on activities, progress, status and
impact for management and partners.
- Provide guidance and feedback to subject matter experts to
optimize their media presence and satisfaction.
- Ensure standard operating procedures, established protocols and
approval processes are followed.
- Participate in meetings and conferences pertinent to area of
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent writing, editing, copywriting and proofreading skills
across multi-channel platforms, with a demonstrable portfolio of published
- Strong command of grammar, punctuation, AP style and
communications best practices.
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational, verbal and
- Ability to work effectively to meet critical deadlines.
with social media marketing.
content management / mixed media experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
* Bachelor's in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, English, Science or Public Relations.* Proficient in Adobe InDesign / Creative Suite.* Technical and/or science writing experience.* Experience working in a professional communications team to engage targeted audiences, while interacting with a variety of stakeholders.* Conversant with scientific or medical concepts.* Experience creating multimedia and SEO content.* Experience with email marketing systems (MailChimp or Salesforce).* Google Analytics and/or Hubspot certification.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Communication and Marketing
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $47,735 - $60,000 Annually, Depending on Experience
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Communications & Marketing
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
College of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and Two Additional Documents
Special Instructions to Applicant
Candidates are required to submit resume, cover letter and two published writing samples.
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.