Assistant Professor of Biology (tenure track)
Millsaps College is seeking a broadly-trained Biologist to fill a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning August 2023. The successful candidate will offer an upper-level Cell Biology course with laboratory and should feel comfortable teaching at least two of the following core courses: Introductory Cell Biology, General Zoology, General Botany, and Genetics. The candidate will also develop upper-level courses in their area of expertise, and those courses should complement the current upper-level offerings in the department.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential for excellence in teaching undergraduates, including those from underrepresented populations and must also indicate the ability to develop and sustain a research program involving undergraduate students. Institutional support for faculty research includes core laboratory facilities to support research in molecular biology and microscopy, start-up funds for laboratory equipment, funds for faculty travel, and competitive faculty development grants. Questions about this position can be addressed to Biology Department Chair Dr. Beth Hussa at email@example.com.Basic Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Biology or a related field
- Ability to develop and sustain a research program involving undergraduate students
- Commitment to inclusive pedagogy, diversity and equity
- post-doctoral experience: this may include academic, industry, governmental, or non-profit experience
- evidence of or potential for successfully engaging and supporting students from diverse backgrounds
Applicants must submit the following documents as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org before October 24, 2022 to ensure full consideration:
- Cover letter that highlights the applicant’s potential for serving the diverse undergraduate learners of Millsaps College
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy, including descriptions of equity-focused content delivery and assessment strategies, and a list of courses the applicant can teach at the undergraduate level
- Statement of Research, including a description of how diverse undergraduate students will be involved in research projects
- References list, including names and contact information for at least three professional references (no reference letters will be accepted at this time)
Millsaps College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from candidates of all backgrounds. All offers of employment will be contingent on confirmation of work authorization and successful completion of a background check.
For more information about Millsaps please visit: http://www.millsaps.edu/admissions/about-millsaps.php.