Animal Care Technician
The individual serves as an Animal Care Technician within the Animal Resources and Care Division (ARCD) section of the Office for Research and Innovation (ORI). The individual is responsible and accountable for the daily provision of animal husbandry and care at an ARCD facility (vivarium) or facilities.
The position(s) encompasses the following responsibilities.
1. Provides animal husbandry and care for a variety of animal species with minimal guidance from more experienced ARCD personnel and in accordance with applicable regulations, guidelines, and internally established policies and procedures.
2. Provides daily care and maintenance for animals. One position will require additional skill sets and/or highly specialized management, oversight or maintenance of housing systems such as in high containment areas (e.g. ABSL-3, select agents).
3. Provides sanitation, custodial, and other support services required for the daily operation and maintenance of the animal facility or other animal housing areas.
4. Performs duties that require specialized skills associated with the care and handling of animals, the sanitation of facilities and the operation and maintenance of equipment.
5. Performs basic technical animal procedures with minimal to no supervision. Assists with or performs advanced technical animal procedures under the guidance and direction of more experienced ARCD personnel.
This position is primarily located in Blacksburg, Virginia but may periodically provide back-up support for the Roanoke campus. This position requires some weekend and holiday work as part of a rotating schedule. This position is considered an emergency position.
- * Ability to work directly with a variety of animal species including rodent, companion, agricultural, and aquatic species.
* Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance procedures on mechanical equipment, animal caging, and other equipment commonly utilized throughout the animal facility and animal housing areas.
* Ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) appropriate for the species, animal housing conditions, or work area.
* Ability to lift/move 50 pounds.
* Basic computer skills including the ability to utilize common applications (e.g., email, Word, Excel).
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Valid US driver's license.
* Ability to pass an FBI background check and obtain within 12 months of hire and maintain a federal government Security Risk Assessment (SRA) clearance to work in ABSL-3 select agent facilities.
- One position will also require passing an FBI background check and obtain within 12 months of hire and maintain a federal government Security Risk Assessment (SRA) clearance to work in ABSL-3 select agent facilities.
* Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Animal Science or a similar biological science.
* Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level.
* Aquatic experience for locations that support zebrafish and other aquatic species.
* Experience working with farm animals for locations that support agricultural species.
Salary range of $35,000-$40,000
October 10, 2022
The successful candidate will have a safe driving check and criminal conviction check completed. They also must be able to pass an FBI background check within 12 months of hire, and obtain and maintain a federal government Security Risk Assessment (SRA) clearance to work in ABSL-3 select agent facilities.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfreeat email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.