(Hybrid) Administrative Assistant - Department of English
West Virginia University Eberly College of Arts and Sciences is currently accepting applications for an Administrative Assistant for the Department of English.
About the Opportunity
This position manages the day-to-day administrative affairs of the Department of English, including fiscal administration, record control, dissemination of policies and procedures, special assignments, and work assignments. Work is all encompassing based on departmental need. Initiates programmatic and individual activities. Serves as liaison in several different areas. Serves as Business Office contact and primary resource contact for faculty, staff, and students. Work affects a major department within a major college and contributes to and ensures the effectiveness of operations and services that have a major impact within the institution. The position oversees the fiscal management of State, Research Corporation, and Foundation funding.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Complex administrative support to the department Chair and the Department of English:
- Manages office personnel: supervises two employees: (2) Program Assistant II. Responsible for disciplinary actions, training, assigning and reviewing work, performance appraisals and approving of leave for two staff members around other staff schedules. Ensures that all aspects of the departmental staff run effectively and efficiently.
- Manages the English main office by independently performing a wide variety of complex administrative support duties for this large department.
- Provides problem-solving support to the Chair, faculty, staff, Centers/Projects, undergraduate students (~200), and graduate students (~65).
- Assists with the management of classified employment procedures. Hires, interviews, trains, assigns, and reviews work, and prepares job descriptions, for 10-15 student workers in the English Department, and the Writing Studio.
- Yearly duties include working with the Chair and Faculty Evaluation Committee (FEC) during promotion and tenure.
- Coordinates and maintains confidential files for office via the WVU shared drive system. Updates and maintains the integrity and confidentiality of files. Maintains up-to-date file of calendars, policies, and procedures.
- Budget Coordination:
- Departmental accounting: Manage all the English financial accounts including State, Foundation, Non-central, and research. Ensure balances are current and accurately maintained. Reconcile accounts and resolve financial discrepancies with the appropriate central accounting authority personnel. Manage internal departmental spending accounts including internal budgets for specific departmental committees, programs, and initiatives. Advise the unit leader and other personnel on use of departmental funds for matters including personnel, procurement, reimbursement, etc. following College, University and State guidelines. Assist in developing and monitoring annual project or program budget with supervisor and other staff. Access the Data Miner system for available funding, expenditures, grant project status, and accounts payable/procurement. Oversee complex financial functions that provide procurement (P-Card) and travel services to the faculty, staff, and students of the department. Provide training to departmental personnel including faculty, staff, and students regarding new programs and policies.
- Payroll: Complete appropriate payroll forms for new employees and submit to the Office of the Dean. Advise leaders, faculty, and staff on payroll procedures and timelines. Prepare payroll requests and submit requests to the appropriate office. Provide quality assurance and correct any errors promptly, as needed. Revise and prepare staff job descriptions to submit for searches and position reviews. Prepare requests for faculty incentive salary contracts, which include verification of amounts and funding. Prepare check deposits for submission to the Bursar's Office and WVU Foundation. Assist international faculty and graduate assistants in terms of INS rules and requirements for employment and serves as the department liaison for ISSS for the completion of international programs (i.e., H-1B, J-1, etc.).
- Generate temporary faculty contracts following specified University, College, and Department policies and procedures.
- Prepares and submits requests for travel for faculty, GTAs, visiting and senior lecturers; makes arrangements for Chair or in conjunction with the traveler, prepares expense account/reconciliation, submits expense account to Travel Accounting, ECAS & Provost EBO for reimbursement, posting, resolves problems as they arise through contacts with appropriate personnel/unit.
- Works with Chair and search committee on faculty candidate searches. Places ads for positions.
- Building Supervisor and Other Duties:
- Serves as Building Supervisor for Colson Hall, coordinates building work order repairs, renovation and general building maintenance, emergencies for the English Department.
- Places orders for departmental office supplies, equipment, dealing with vendors, gathering quotes from various vendors, and information processing all necessary paperwork and assigns it to the department location.
- Event Coordination
- In collaboration with Program Assistants, coordinates department events including the August Welcome Back Picnic on the Friday of the first week of classes.
- Wellness Coordinator for Department
- Manage Department List-servs
Pay Grade: 15
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of combined experience involving:
- Complex administrative support.
- Fiscal Management.
- Computer Applications -word processing, spreadsheets.
- Supervision - (Preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and resolve controversial situations.
- Ability to learn WVU policies and procedures regarding academics, payroll, budget, travel, procurement, and administrative policies for faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out assignments without detailed assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to use correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and tone when composing emails, letters, memos, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of budgetary record keeping and file maintenance and confidentiality standards.
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic mathematical functions e.g. percentages, ratios, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer technology, including word processing, spreadsheets and the ability to learn Oracle and STAR/BANNER.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, exercising sound professional judgment, and carry out assignments with little or no instruction or supervision.
- Ability to organize information and draw logical conclusions in order to prepare professional reports.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage a complex workload in a timely and efficient manner. Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to maintain proper attendance and punctuality standards.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service abilities to tactfully manage students, faculty, staff and other University units.
- Ability to function as a member of a team.
- Ability to discern critical nature of issues needing immediate attention and to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with respect to all student and personnel information
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse student and workforce population.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs. as needed.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visitgo.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities atcareers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 21, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes