Category Manager - Auxiliary and Business Services (Hybrid)
West Virginia University Auxiliary and Business Services is currently accepting applications for a Category Manager.
About the Opportunity
As a Category Manager, you will provide strategic and on-the-ground procurement and contracting support to business units across the University. Develops sourcing, contracting, and pricing strategies and policies for IT related and other assigned categories. leverages procurement spend to achieve best value and cost savings objectives. Draft, negotiate, execute and manage contracts compliant with state, federal and University rules, policies and legal standards. Provide guidance and supervision to assigned staff. Provide other duties and functions as assigned or required.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Serves as the University's subject matter expert on IT procurement and other assigned commoditiesin regard to procurement and contracting.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates with assignedbusiness units on moderate to complex procurement and contracting initiatives.
- Cross functional interaction with business units to develop meaningful short and long-termprocurement plans that identify significant, repetitive, or enterprise-wide procurements and creates ahighly proactive posture, firm sense of direction, and continuity of service delivery.
- Analyzes budget and historical spend data to identify opportunities for consolidation of procurement activities and cost saving across business units; provides meaningful information andreports to business units that encourage collaboration and improve spend visibility.
- Research and analysis of procurement-related information and reports data to business units withrespect to emerging products, market trends, sourcing and pricing models.
- Performs product, market orvendor research. Identifies qualified suppliers and service providers, including potential diversesuppliers.
- Assists business units to develop standard purchase descriptions, templates, specifications andstatements of work that meet business needs yet create opportunities to maximize cost savings.
- Selects appropriate solicitation methods, develops and issues solicitations, administers moderate tocomplex procurements and effectively leads cross-functional teams through the evaluation and selection process.
- Assertively moves pending actions towards completion, cognizant of business unit needs andestablished timelines
- Promptly escalates and communicates significant barriers to business units andupstream administration.
- Establishes effective pricing strategies and drafts, negotiates and awards contracts that conform tostate, federal and University rules and policies and Office of General Counsel standards.
- Performs complex price analysis and makes price reasonableness determinations.
- Performs pre-award responsibility surveys to ensure selected vendors and consultants have thecapacity, expertise, financial wherewithal and willingness to support the University's requirements.
- Executes individual contracts up to $1,000,000 under the delegated authority of the Chief Procurement Officer.
- Administers contracts from award through close-out, including management of contract changes, resolution of disputes, tracking of deliverables (such as insurance certificates/bonds, certifications,reports, etc.), review of invoices, in close coordination with business units, generally monitorscontractor performance and compliance with contractual or PO provisions.
- Documents key procurement and contracting decisions and actions, develops price negotiationmemoranda, solicitation summaries, award analyses and other procurement and contracting records,and maintains procurement and contracting files sufficient to meet University, publicprocurement/contracting, records management and audit standards.
- Prepares assorted. reports for business units and senior and executive management levels; inputs orextracts procurement, contracting and purchase/delivery/task order information into or from variouscomputer systems. Responds to public record and audit requests.
- Educates business units and vendors on University procurement and contracting policies,procedures and practices and works proactively with business units and vendors to meet smallbusiness, sustainability and other socio-economic business initiatives.
- Stays current with trends and best practices in procurement and contracting.
- Manages, supervises, schedules and prioritizes tasks and responsibilities of assigned Procurement& Contracting staff for related categories to meet workload and scheduling needs of the department.
- Responds in a timely manner to other such duties, data requests, and other duties assigned bymanagement or requested from departmental clients.
- Performance of all required position functions in a remote/hybrid atmosphere.
- Performs other functions as assigned or required to meet the needs of the University.
- Bachelor's Degree in Global Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Finance, Economics,
Information Technology, or other related field, or an equivalent amount
- 5 or more years' experience in the below areas of procurement and contracting:
- Procurement in a mid to large size organization.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Public entity procurement experience preferred.
- Experience in IT procurement preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in contemporary IT related and other categorical procurement & contracting in a mid-to large organization.
- Skilled in solicitation and contract development, interpretation and administration.
- Strong analytical, written and negotiation skills.
- Effectively manage multiple and competing priorities, and strong organizational skills.
- Negotiation of moderate to complex agreements and communicate effectively with all parties internally andexternally.
- Engage, educate and support internal stakeholders, staff and business units.
- Provide value to the University within a short period of time from hire.
- Ability to be creative, innovative and solve complex procurement and contracting issues.
- Skilled to prepare comprehensive reports and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Skilled at using e-sourcing, e-procurement, contract management, or other procurement and contracting software,reporting or analytics tools Skilled in the latest Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, Adobe conversionsand other related applications.
- Ability to quickly master specialized software applications.
- Skilled in main frame procurement, payment and other business application software.
- Ability to provide high-level oral and written communications skills necessary to explain complex rules andpolicies to business units and vendors, justify recommendations, and interact with individuals at all levels in theUniversity.
- Skilled at performing in a high pressure, highly visible role.
- Work ethic necessary to perform in a remote/hybrid environment.
- General good stamina
- Lifting (50 pounds or greater)
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 21, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes