IT Support Specialist
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design is looking to hire an IT support specialist to support our users. We welcome applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and disciplinary training. We strongly encourage applications from individuals who do not see themselves historically represented in IT or academia. We seek candidates who are interested in engaging students and colleagues in actively building diversity, equity, and inclusion into all facets of our work. The most successful candidates will be self-motivated and creative individuals who are able to think outside the box for novel and more efficient solutions, while adhering to proper policy and procedure.
The specialist, reporting to the AAD Director of IT, will be responsible for installing, configuring, updating, and maintaining macOS and Windows computers. They will collaborate with the AAD (College of Architecture, Arts and Design) IT team to answer service calls in the AAD incident management system, ServiceNow. They will provide polite and professional customer service to users. The specialist will support software installation and peripherals such as scanners and printers. They will respond to user needs via phone calls, tickets, and emails. Additionally, they will work on development of in-house-developed web applications.
This position will be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement of up to one day of remote work every week following a fully onsite onboarding period (estimated to be 180 days) to support successful training and transition.
* Experience working in a customer service environment and managing requests of clients of various severity. Able to manage multiple issues and triage based on level of urgency.
* Willingness and eagerness to learn and adapt to the changing IT support landscape.
* Able to communicate complex information to colleagues and users of varying technical competency, while being professional and empathetic.
* Some experience providing technical support and setup for various devices (desktops, laptops, printers, etc.)
* Some experience with developing and supporting web applications
* Experience using an incident management or help desk ticketing system.
* Experience with network printing - setup, deployment, and support.
* Experience with managing projects for system upgrades, new system implementation, lifecycle management or related IT projects.
* Experience maintaining Active Directory (OUs, users, groups, etc.)
* Experience with web content management systems
Salary range is $45,000 - $52,000 per year
October 10, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.