Associate Director, Events and Engagement
Posting Number: req11830
Department: Senior VP Health Sciences
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: UAHS Tucson, Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe Associate Director, Engagement and Events will manage projects & events, in close collaboration with the UAHS senior leadership team, other UA leaders, and community stakeholders. The Associate Director plans and directs operations from conception to completion, providing oversight for any combination of human resources, administration, financial planning, IT, communications/outreach, facilities and other activities. The development of vision and strategy will be tailored based on project objective, scope, goals, timing, resources, etc. The Associate Director will assess time and sequencing of steps to achieve goals, monitor budgets and evaluate progress throughout, to make appropriate adjustments as needed. This position will implement interdisciplinary and intercommunity strategic programming, build and sustain partnerships, and create opportunities for synergies across the UAHS and UA campuses to drive strategic initiatives.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Strategic Program Planning, Development, and Implementation:
- Ensure success of programs including scope, cost, schedule, action cycles, risks, issues, decisions, interdependencies, and milestones.
- Involve senior colleagues in the planning, organization, and management of engagement activities and events as necessary, working collaboratively and encouraging participation as a member of the team.
- Create and implement interdisciplinary and intercommunity HSIB programming (e.g., lecture series, panel discussions, workshops, performances, etc.) in close collaboration with the UAHS senior leadership team, other UA leaders, and community stakeholders.
- Explore new opportunities through analyzing trends and forecasting and build/evaluate recommendations to create a superior programmatic experience for students, faculty, and community members in the HSIB.
Communication and Relationship Building:
- In consultation with the UAHS AVP for communications, create channels for effective communication across and with HSIB, UAHS, and UA stakeholder groups and external constituencies.
- Oversee event vendor relationships and logistics (catering, transportation services, rentals, decor, lighting, seating, audio/visual, entertainment, etc.).
- Communication and supervision of University Staff employees & student assistants to support the event process.
- Coordinate and communicate with volunteer staffing for large-scale event assistance.
- Build and sustain partnerships and create opportunities for synergies across the UAHS and UA campuses, and community.
Financial Planning, Budget, and Analysis:
- Collaboratively develop and implement long-range financial plan that enables achievement of HSIB goals.
- Plan and manage budget, including annual, quarterly, and monthly expense tracking.
- Collaboratively assist with developing and implementing long-range financial plan that enables achievement of HSIB goals as well as creating and managing expense budgets foreach UAHS-sponsored event and monitor financial details.
- Manage invitation lists, RSVP process and software, and create attendance reports for all events.
- Creation of invitation lists; identify the speaker(s); prepare seating arrangements; negotiate with vendors and suppliers; ship materials if needed; and develop and manage events.
- Oversee drafting of copy and design for creative assets (invitations, ads, programs, signage and all other printed materials) for each event, working with necessary approvals, edits, revisions and printing timelines to ensure delivery deadlines are met.
- Coordinate and track program/event invitations and RSVPs.
- Work evening and weekends as needed (during events).
- Collaborate with UAHS Phoenix location.
- Instate travel as needed.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent writing, speaking, interviewing and listening skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain powerful and productive relationships with community members, colleagues and UA faculty and staff.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to understand and work with budgetary procedures and policies.
- Ability to make good decisions and exercise judgment and discretion.
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Conference & Events
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Melissa Colchado | email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.