Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students
Title: Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students
Division Name: Student Affairs
Department: Dean of Students
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
Illinois State University is searching for its next Assistant Vice President/Dean of Students to oversee designated departments within the Division, currently Dean of Students Office, Student Access and Accommodations Services, Center for Civic Engagement, and Multicultural Center. The Assistant Vice President/Dean is a member of the senior leadership team for the Division and assists with the direction and operations of the Division of Student Affairs in providing educationally purposeful programs, services, and facilities that foster student development, persistence, and success.
The Assistant Vice President/Dean also coordinates several department and divisional entities including Critical Incident Response Team, Redbird Care Team, Demonstration Support Team, and Inclusive Community Response Team. The Assistant Vice President/Dean serves as the point of contact for students and parents/families to resolve conflicts and remove barriers to student success. The Assistant Vice President/Dean is the advocate for students and student issues regarding university policies, services, and practices and serves on the University Emergency Management Team.
The supervision portfolio for this position includes the Dean of Students Office, Multicultural Center, and Center for Civic Engagement. The Center for Civic Engagement is a dual-reporting unit with Academic Affairs, creating an interdisciplinary lens from which to provide civic engagement, service learning, and civic education. Our newly formed Multicultural Center serves students, faculty, staff, and community members through an anti-racism lens. The Center also offers programming space, a place for belonging, a home for cultural student organizations, and support for all members of the university community. The Dean of Students Office is a unique, multi-faceted organization that combines services for students, crisis response, and traditional student engagement opportunities. Services provided to and on behalf of the university include student access and accommodation services, student conduct, case management for off-campus students, student behavioral response team, Dean on Duty/ombudsperson, parent and family relationships, critical incident response, Students’ Attorney, and off-campus student services. Traditional student activities and student organizations sponsored through the Dean of Students Office include sorority and fraternity life, leadership education and development, fall and spring welcome week orientation programming, student government association, university program board, student organization support, signature campus engagement programs such as involvement fairs/Family Weekend, and university commencement ceremony coordination.
Please view the full leadership profile for this position under employment opportunities on the Vice President's website: https://studentaffairs.illinoisstate.edu/who/about/Required Qualifications
1. Doctorate required, preferably in student affairs administration, higher education or related area
2. Minimum of 10 years of experience in Student Affairs administration with increasing levels of responsibility
3. Minimum of 7 years of experience in supervising staff and working directly with college students
4. Experience in assessment, strategic planning, and budget management at a department or division level
5. Experience with managing complex budgets at the department or division level
6. Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the university community
7. Strong leadership skills
8. Proven ability to manage conflict
9. Experience with building effective partnerships with diverse campus constituencies and community leaders
10. Commitment to diversity and inclusiveness and ability to interact cross culturally
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2. Move about in various locations on campus to complete day to day work
3. Access to transportation and ability to travel within the local community 24/7 at a moment's notice. (This relates to on-call responsibilities with the Critical Incident Response Team and Emergency Management Team.
January 2023Salary Rate / Pay Rate
$150,000 - $165,000Required Applicant Documents
Resume, cover letter, and reference list containing the names and contact information for at least three professional references (references will not be contacted until the finalist stage and you will be notified before we reach out)
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"Contact Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.