Wesley Theological Seminary
Washington, District of Columbia
Liberal Arts Deans
Wesley Theological Seminary
Wesley Theological Seminary invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean.
Wesley Theological Seminary is a graduate theological school of the United Methodist Church located in Washington, DC. It is one of the largest and most diverse seminaries in the world. Degree programs include Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Theological Studies, and Doctor of Ministry. Almost 60 percent of the students are Methodist; the remaining 40 percent represent more than 25 different denominations. Forty-four percent of the students are African American, Hispanic, Asian, or other ethnic minority. Wesley's faculty includes 18 full-time faculty members and 25 adjunct faculty members.
The Dean is the Chief Academic Officer and responsible directly to the President. The Dean's responsibilities include developing and overseeing policy and programming, as well as personnel oversight, development, and fiscal management for the faculty and academic programs. The Dean is expected to provide vision and leadership in strategic planning and promote excellence in teaching and scholarship.
The best candidates for the position will possess an earned doctorate in a field of theological education and have a distinguished record of graduate teaching, scholarship, and active participation in the life of the church. In addition, candidates should have a demonstrated record of administrative competence and enthusiasm for the seminary's global perspective and programs. While qualified United Methodists will receive preference, the seminary welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of denominational affiliation.
More information, including an institutional profile with a full list of responsibilities, is available here:
How to Apply: Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a CV, and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to: WesleyDean@academicsearch.org
The position is open until filled but only applications received by Tuesday, January 31, 2023, can be assured full consideration. The University is being assisted by Academic Search. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants Ann Hasselmo at Ann.Hasselmo@academicsearch.org and Chris Butler at Chris.Butler@academicsearch.org. Further information about Wesley Theological Seminary is available at https://www.wesleyseminary.edu/.
Wesley Theological Seminary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.