Career Development and Services
Job SummaryThe Pathway Coach (PC) assumes responsibility for developing strong relationships with students, academic partners and employers by providing comprehensive consultative services that assist students in developing short and long-term plans to meet their desired career/post-graduate objectives. The PC reports to the Director of Institutional Effectiveness in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The PC has the leadership role in the collaborative functional effort to develop, deploy and maintain programming to support the successful implementation of the college's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP): Spelman Pathways - Creating Your Path to Life and Career and Excellence. Serves as a key team member to implement and promote campus-wide adoption of the college's QEP and contributes to the assessment of student learning and success outcomes. The PC consults with and provides subject matter expertise to academic and staff leadership regarding career coaching to ensure that they are aligned with the goals and objectives of the QEP and Spelman College Strategic plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively develops a trusting environment in which students can share aspirations, concerns, and interests, and be guided through the discovery and decision-making process of selecting a career and achieving their post-graduation professional goals.
- Counsels students through self-assessments, identify available resources and assists students with career research.
- Mentors and Coaches students on effective resume writing, job search strategies, and the development overall career skill (e.g. NACE Competencies).
- Partners with assigned academic advisors, Faculty Career Coaches, and Career Planning and Development staff to increase awareness of relevant post-graduate opportunities.
- Utilizes platforms such as Porfolium, EAB, Smartsheet, and Handshake in working with students and colleagues.
- Assists in establishing innovative digital content and educational materials through the effective use of social media platforms to engage, inspire and impact constituents.
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Minimum of 3+ years of professional work experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience coaching and mentoring students;
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, frequently changing work environment in a flexible and calm manner;
- Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing students and processes to effectively monitor and develop students and to ensure the smooth operation of programs;
- Experience collecting and analyzing data, preparing recommendations and reporting of service-related metrics;
- The ideal candidate is comfortable with flexible work arrangements, including remote work, displays an excellent work ethic, and can manage change in a highly decentralized institution;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, and social media applications.
Preferred QualificationsMaster's preferred.
Full Time/Part Time: Full-time
Posting Number: SC0483P
Posting Closing Date09/26/2022
Open Until Filled: No
COVID-19 Testing and Vaccination ProtocolDue to the ongoing pandemic, Spelman College has instituted a COVID-19 testing requirement. You will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test result within five (5) days of your start date. Acceptable tests include: PCR, Rapid Antigen, or results of an at home self-test. When providing test results of an at home self-test, your full name and test date must be written down legibly alongside your final results. The cost related to testing is not a reimbursable expense by the College. Please email your negative test results to Yemi Brown, PharmD Manager of COVID-19 Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your first day on campus.
In addition, due to the heightened risk of contracting COVID-19 and the spread of variants, Spelman College requires up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination of all faculty, staff, and students (collectively "Campus Community") that have job duties, attend classes, or are otherwise present on campus. You will need to submit proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (full vaccination and a booster) prior to your first day on campus or you may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement by providing the necessary documentation to: Yemi Brown, PharmD Manager of COVID-19 Operations, at email@example.com. Upon receiving your Spelman Technology log-in credentials, please keep your vaccination or exemptions records up-to-date using Etrieve.
It is our hope to minimize transmission of the coronavirus in the workplace and academic setting by requiring occupational protection such as requiring face masks be worn indoors, encouraging frequent handwashing and promoting adherence to the community testing cadence.