Dean, Construction & Industrial Technology
Pitt Community College
Greenville, North Carolina
The Dean of Construction and Industrial Technology provides leadership to the Construction and Industrial Technology Division and is responsible for the overall management of division programs and fostering a collaborative environment to facilitate program and student success. The Dean is also responsible for supporting the college mission and strategic plan and implementing college polices. Reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services.
Academic and Business Operations:
Academic and Business Operations:
- Maintains congruency between the college mission and all division activities.
- Provides leadership in developing, implementing, and maintaining curriculum offerings and programs that respond to community needs, prepare students for success, and meet the requirements of SACS, NCCCS, applicable specialized accrediting agencies, and other appropriate external agencies and are consistent with the expectations of college leadership, the Board of Trustees, the public, and external constituencies.
- Provides leadership and advocacy in the planning, implementing, assessing, and ongoing improvement of all construction and industrial technology curricula, courses, and programs; focuses on the design and improvement of educational experiences to enhance student learning and program excellence.
- Plans, executes, and evaluates annual division goals and strategic plans, outcomes, and related activities based on the needs of the programs, division, and college.
- Maintains a strong record of assessment by disseminating and using data in decision making.
- Establishes and administers division policies and procedures; provides leadership in developing and administering program policies and procedures, including but not limited to, those related to program admission, progression, graduation, grading and evaluation, and student conduct.
- Maintains effective communications within the division through regular meetings with faculty and staff, and by means of written communications, utilization of committees, and/or other group management strategies.
- Supports the functions of Academic Affairs and Student Services; maintains communication and collaborates with other administrators, faculty, and staff across the college to advance academic priorities.
- Responds to the needs of department chairs and program directors; supports faculty in teaching, professional development, and service.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with businesses, industries, and other organizations in the community which are pertinent to the programs and prospective graduates and with which the college may hold contracts, other agreements, or arrangements; maintains productive relationships with representatives from other educational institutions and the public school system.
- Ensures contracts and agreements pertinent to division programs are current and provisions are met.
- Recommends, implements, and enforces academic policies and procedures, administrative rules and regulations, and other controls intended to maintain order and the highest standards of instruction.
- Provides leadership in addressing and resolving student complaints and appeals, faculty complaints and grievances, and other student, faculty, and staff disputes.
- Prepares and submits complete, correct, and timely reports, as required.
- Oversees daily operations of CIT Continuing Education to include budgets, contracts, class schedules and instructor schedules.
- Supports community enrichment and local training through short-term training objectives pertaining to construction, industrial and transportation programs.
- Ensures all faculty and staff are appropriately qualified.
- Assigns, supervises, and evaluates faculty and staff.
- Ensures that individual faculty schedules are developed and fulfilled within the programs, including adequate provisions for teaching loads, office hours, student advisement, registration, committee work, and other instructional activities.
- Provides for the professional development needs of faculty and staff.
- Maintains and updates current job descriptions for faculty and staff; updates personnel information in human resources for faculty and staff as needed.
- Oversees faculty and staff recruitment and retention; facilitates faculty and staff searches; recommends the appointment of faculty and staff.
- Ensures orientation and mentoring is provided to new faculty and staff.
- Oversees preparation and processing of contracts for adjunct faculty and time sheets for part-time staff.
- Supervises, processes, and maintains records of leave requests, absentee reports, and related documentation for faculty and staff.
- Provides efficient management of resources; identifies, prioritizes, and recommends resource needs for the division; assists in the inventory and physical security of resources.
- Prepares and administers the division and special budgets effectively and efficiently; approves expenditures and regularly monitors status of expenditures.
- Follows state and college purchasing policies and procedures.
- Participates in securing external funding to enhance academic opportunities and financial support for students; ensures funding guidelines are followed and appropriate documentation is completed and submitted as required.
- Teaches a minimum of one class per academic year.
- Participates in student recruitment, advising, and registration.
- Enforces academic policy and procedures at all times; complies with all institutional rules and regulations pertinent to classroom, laboratory, and general employment.
- Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually, and maintains a weekly work schedule sufficient to ensure proper supervision of division and departmental activities, fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations, and meet the needs of the programs, division, and college.
- Maintains complete office and student records as needed; processes and/or submits reports, forms, schedules, and all other required paper and electronic documentation in a timely, efficient manner, checking for the accuracy, correctness, and completeness of all data.
- Represents the program, division, and college in institutional assignments, community affairs, and professional activities; upholds such involvement among faculty.
- Participates in program, divisional, and institutional meetings, committees, and other announced activities.
- Fulfills committee assignments and other special appointments within the college and community, and otherwise, gives appropriate support to college endeavors.
- Attends in-service training and other professional development opportunities, including attendance at off-campus activities, as feasible, to stay current with developments in the field of instruction and strengthen leadership and management skills.
- Keeps all sensitive information protected and strictly confidential; maintains confidentiality in accordance with college, FERPA, and HIPAA requirements.