Research Associate (Hybrid) - Office of Health Affairs
West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently accepting applications for a Research Associate (Hybrid) in the Office of Health Affairs
About the Opportunity
The Office of Health Affairs is seeking applications for a Research Associate (hybrid) located in Morgantown, WV. The Research Associate will be a key participant in the emerging State-University partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. Overarching responsibilities include working with the state to leverage their data and support analytic and policy needs, conducting relevant policy and evaluation research, participating in interdisciplinary research and evaluation teams, and providing oversight and support to other data analysts and personnel embedded within the Department for Health and Human Resources.
The Office of Health Affairs frequently engages in collaborative efforts with West Virginia's Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR), other state agencies, hospital systems and nonprofits throughout West Virginia. Ideal candidates will have work experience that aligns with the mission of DHHR's Bureau of Medical Servies, Bureau for Children and Families, Bureau for Behavioral Health, and Bureau for Public Health.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:aff holiday cale
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
* 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
* WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
* 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
* Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Serve as a University representative and liaison to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning and performance of projects, programs and activities involving health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
- Facilitates communication and efficient collaboration between research partners at the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Oversee and conduct analyses of Medicaid claims data using SAS and other statistical analysis packages at the direction of the West Virginia University Director of Medicaid Research and Evaluation or leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources
- Support both West Virginia University faculty as well as leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources in using Medicaid claims data as well as other state data sources to answer research questions of interest to the state
- Train other West Virginia University faculty in analyzing Medicaid claims data and other state data sources using SAS or other statistical analysis packages
- Ensure that data analytic and research/evaluation activities are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
- Provides consultation to faculty and government partners regarding preparation of research proposals, design and methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
- Identify opportunities for potential collaborations between the Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Prepares reports as required by the University, the Health Sciences Center administration, and external agencies. Communicates results of analytic projects and program evaluations with relevant staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Conducts or directs special projects as assigned.
- Assist with the publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Earned PhD in health or data science-related field;
- Two (2) years experience:
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and policy research (health services research, public health informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by publications and/ or sustained involvement in a research program.
- Experience conducting research/evaluation using large health data sources within the healthcare industry or academic or governmental sectors
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health databases for research, program evaluation and policy development.
- Experience analyzing Medicaid administrative claims data
- Extensive knowledge in the use of standard statistical analysis packages such as SAS or R
- Experience designing and overseeing large research projects using administrative claims data
- Record of successfully publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts in the field of health services research
- Experience training and/or supervising other individuals in using statistical analysis packages to analyze administrative claims data
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data analytics.
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse groups of stakeholders
The ability to travel to WVUs regional campuses and/or within the multi-state area is required.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2022
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes