Library Technical Assistant
About Our College
Galveston College is a comprehensive community college located on Galveston Island, just 40 miles south of Houston, Texas. Our College provides the citizens of Galveston Island and the surrounding region with academic, workforce development, continuing education, and community service programs. We serve an ethnically diverse population of approximately 2,400 students each semester in credit programs and nearly 5,000 individuals annually in continuing education programs. On the Island we enjoy coastal living with easy access to big city amenities. We offer great benefits, holidays, collaborative work environment, and no state income tax. Please come be a part of our team!
The Library Technical Assistant reports to the Director of Library and Learning Resources in the area of library technical services such as copy cataloging, maintaining, updating, and providing technical support for the library catalog through the integrated library system, and assisting with the library content management system, library acquisitions, and tracking budgetary expenditures. This position will also have opportunities to assist with public services, as needed.
- Associate degree or equivalent required;
- One (1) year of copy cataloging and at least one (1) year of library experience;
- Availability to work evenings and weekends;
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and software, including Microsoft Office Suite to include mid-level knowledge of computer/internet/email;
- Knowledge of integrated library systems;
- Knowledge of Springshare CMS;
- Ability to adapt willingly and effectively to the rapid changing world of information systems, and succeeding tools needed for locating and accessing information and data;
- Detail-oriented, work with minimum supervision and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment;
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills and the ability to manage several projects at a time;
- Possess a collaborative, team-based approach to projects.
- Experience in an academic library;
- Experience in library technical and public services;
- Knowledge of Library of Congress Cataloging and descriptive cataloging standards.