Professional Technologist - Teaching and Learning Commons, CTEC
TheTeaching and Learning Commons at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Professional Technologist for the department of Classroom Technology.
About this Opportunity
This position provides on-demand technical consulting (via telephone, remote computer access, or on-site) to faculty who are experiencing problems with classroom technology whenever classes are in session, including nights and weekends.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Utilize a Customer Service approach in support and tracking of faculty and student inquiries and instructional technology needs.
- Conduct accurate and time-critical logical analysis to identify and solve complex operational problems by determining the source of the issue, such as audiovisual and computer hardware, software, network, infrastructure, or the interaction of different components.
- Update and monitor online ticketing system to ensure accurate tracking of service calls and the timely resolution of outstanding issues.
- Create and maintain detailed records of repairs, errors, maintenance, training, and performance standards. Analyze results to identify equipment and systems in need of repair or nearing end-of-life functionality.
- Conduct needs assessment. Analyze results to design and teach customized training sessions for faculty and staff using the technology systems and equipment.
- Investigate and make recommendations on existing/emerging technologies that address instruction and/or technology changes.
- Research, test, recommend, and implement a variety of complex systems, including but not limited to multimedia and instructional technology to provide reliable, effective, and efficient operation of WVU's 150+ classroom technology systems and equipment.
- Research, test, recommend, implement, and support a wide variety of computer applications and hardware, including but not limited to device controllers, imaging and management software, and security software.
- Schedule, train, supervise, and mentor seven part-time student workers and several Federal Work Study students whose duties include, but are not limited to, troubleshooting and on-going testing/maintenance of instructional technology classroom systems and equipment.
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of job related experience and/or education.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience involving:
- Technical support for technology classrooms and the University faculty and staff members who use these classrooms.
- Technology classroom design and overseeing the installation of such classrooms in a higher education setting.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills are required to interact with University deans, faculty, staff, and students.
- Manage and prioritize multiple tasks concurrently.
- Work independently and collaboratively to plan, coordinate, and implement a wide variety of complex classroom technologies.
- Lead student employees on technical projects.
- Strong analytical skills to be able to evaluate and resolve complex technical issues across hardware, software, networking, multimedia, and audiovisual systems at both the system and component level.
- Demonstrated ability to reason logically to analyze and quickly resolve technology problems.
- Proven experience in the design and implementation of classroom technology.
- Ability to design and teach technical and operational procedures in short hands-on workshops and tutorial formats.
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting experience with computers, audiovisual equipment, and central control systems.
- In depth knowledge of various types of software installed within the classrooms, ranging from general office software (such as Windows/Mac operating systems, webcasting and streaming audio and video platforms and software such as Zoom and Mediasite, web browsers, word processing, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint) to educational software specific to various disciplines (such as math and science).
- Valid driver's license.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visitgo.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities atcareers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes