Posting Number: req11727
Department: Medical Imaging
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: 1230 N. Cherry Ave., Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Position HighlightsOne research scientists level III position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Russell S. Witte, PhD in the Department of Medical Imaging at the University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ). The successful candidates will assume a lead role in developing and testing a next-generation hybrid imaging systems that combines ultrasound with radiofrequency recording. Acoustoelectric imaging maps bioelectric signals in the body to improve the detection and guide treatment for diseases ranging from epilepsy to cardiac arrhythmia. The successful applicant will work closely with a team of engineers, physician scientists, and students to build and validate bench-top imaging systems towards translation for further evaluation and refinement.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and test ultrasound and electronic instruments for medical imaging and sensing.
- Perform experiments in tissue-mimicking phantoms, biological tissue, animals or humans.
- Lead in vivoultrasound and electrical mapping studies in animals.
- Conduct acoustic modeling/simulations (e.g., in k-Wave).
- Solve complex inverse problems in ultrasound and electrical imaging.
- Produce high quality publications and mentor team of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Participate in writing grants and research proposals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Candidate shall be self-motivated and be able to work independently in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Five (5) years of relevant work experience is required.
- MS or PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering,
- Optical Sciences, Applied Physics or related field.
- At least three publications in biomedical imaging and advanced signal processing (one involving ultrasound or radar).
- At least four (4) years of experience working with hardware and instrumentation.
- At least two (2) years of experience in industry or as a postdoc.
- Have a track record of quality publications in biomedical imaging involving ultrasound and developing hardware systems.
- 5+ years' experience with bioinstrumentation (e.g., oscilloscope, function generator, scanner).
- 5+ years' experience in MatlabTM/C++ or Labview.
- 3+ years' designing/building electrical circuits.
- 2+ years' experience in bioelectric detection, electrophysiology, EEG, ECG.
- Experience with open platform ultrasound systems (e.g., Vantage by VerasonicsTM).
- Experience with any of following: ultrasound imaging, acoustoelectric imaging, advanced signal processing, beamforming, reconstruction, solving inverse problems, COMSOL, FOCUS, Field-II, SolidWorks, 3D printing, machine shop, working with animal or human subjects.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Researchers & Scientists
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Dr. Russell S. Witte, PhD Professor | Medical Imaging, Optical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Neurosurgery | email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.