Posting Number: req11761
Department: Tech Launch Arizona
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Do you have a passion for marketing and communications? Are you a problem solver with high interpersonal, creative, and collaborative skills? Want to build career experience around the development of cutting-edge technologies? Tech Launch Arizona (TLA) is seeking an early career Marketing Associate (Marketing Specialist II) who is interested in building professional experience and supporting our marketing efforts. We are a team of highly committed and dynamic professionals dedicated to creating social and economic impact by commercializing the impactful inventions born of University of Arizona research.
TLA is the University of Arizona unit that works with University researchers, the business community, and organizations to commercialize innovations stemming from research and the innovative work of the university. We create social and economic impact through bringing UArizona's inventions from the lab to the world through commercial pathways. We are grounded in two interdependent goals: 1) to expedite movement of research-derived UA intellectual property into the commercial sphere to promote further development and commercialization; and 2) to facilitate the engagement of technology-related public and corporate entities with UArizona. Achieving these goals accelerates commercial innovation and spurs economic development.
To help realize these goals, the Marketing Associate will work closely with the Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications to evolve and support the organization's full range of marketing efforts. The primary focus of this position will be to market UArizona's portfolio of available technologies. Objectives for this individual will be to: identify market context and prospective industry adopters for technologies; develop target contact lists; create and execute targeted marketing campaigns; produce a monthly technology blog and video; proactively create and market "technology portfolios"; develop individual technology summaries, marketing materials, and mailings; and create, edit, and manage online content. This individual also provides secondary support for event planning and execution.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a consistent process for technology descriptions.
- Write audience-focused SEO content to maximize traffic to UArizona technologies.
- Work closely with TLA Market Research to understand the applicable markets for specific technologies.
- Work with Licensing Managers, Market Research, and other TLA teams to clarify the comparative advantages and value propositions of each invention.
- Develop and execute targeted marketing plans, campaigns, and materials for UArizona inventions.
- Leverage social media to connect focused audiences with technologies.
- Monitor and report analytics on marketing campaign and platform performance.
- Develop and maintain a database and library of key publications in each technology domain, and leverage these publications to market UArizona inventions.
- Develop and maintain UArizona/TLA presence on multiple web-based technology marketing platforms.
- Explore, initiate, and grow relationships with external technology marketing platform representatives.
- Respond to industry calls for relevant UArizona technologies.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications Assistant Director and Director of Licensing on plans to publicize UArizona inventions.
- Track and assess individual marketing campaign performance to increases effectiveness.
- Create and manage database of business contacts and marketing correspondence flowing through TLA.
- Supervise one or more technology marketing student worker(s).
- Produce monthly blog and video highlighting inventions and inventors.
- Draft news stories to communicate social and economic impact of UArizona inventions.
- Assist with outreach planning and event execution.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills, & abilities:
- Excellent writing skills with familiarity and/or comfort with technical/scientific language.
- Strong collegial interpersonal skills exercising diplomacy with an ability to communicate effectively in person; remotely via Zoom, Teams, and similar platforms; and other communication mediums.
- Ability to work independently and/or within various organizational teams.
- Ability to follow highly detailed processes and innovate to improve them over time.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties.
- Collaborative problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in a communications and/or marketing position is required.
- Federal regulations require that the incumbent be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to be ITAR/EAR compliant.
- Over 3 years minimum of relevant work experience in a communications and/or marketing position.
- Experience with scientific concepts and research, and technology-oriented products and services.
- Experience in photography and videography.
- Experience in technology product marketing.
- Experience with the university technology transfer process.
- Experience with social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and related media, preferably for use in strategic marketing.
- Experience working in Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, InDesign, or any other software appropriate to this assignment along with a working knowledge or experience in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience understanding of web analytics, social media analytics, online advertising, and SEO.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Communication and Marketing
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $48,000 - $62,533
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Communications & Marketing
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.